New Clutch time /opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Clutch time /opinions

OK, so i am leaving the local car club hangout and they wanted to hear the new exhaust.. i figure WTF.. might as well give them some smoke too...

anyway.. i rev it hard.. and dumb the clutch like i dident know it existed..

lay on the gas.. and well nothing eventfull happens.. the wheels dont spin.. but the cutch did.. it smelt awfull!! it was moving the car but still very free reving, untill it got to speed..

This is the funny part.. when i let it out.. the clutch peddle did not come out all the way at first.. it was odd..

The clutch seems fine for normal-> spirited driving..

but then i really shift hard or beat it on the track.. it get flakey..

I dont really know why this is.. its really annoying though.. been doing this for about a year now.. not beaing able to really lace into it and expect any grip from the clutch..
    ANY insight on why its not grabbing.. i have about 40k on the car now w/ origional clutch..
    and i have yet to change the fluid..

anyway.. i definatly want a spec stage 3 as a replacement

those things are hella cool.. but.. what material shuld i get? whats the difference? bad/good of each..

BTW!! thunder racing's decription off them is wrong.. the HP/torque load ratings are WAY OFF! look at the ones on specs site.. I think thunder assumed that ours had the same HP ratings as the v8 clutches..

any info about what to get and what is wrong w/ my stock clutch will be helpfull..

thanks in advance

~Bill

Your pressure plate is shot and probably the disc too. I don't know if the Camaro has a finger-type or diaphram-type pressure plate, but when a clutch slips badly and the pedal doesn't come all the way back, it means the pressure plate is worn out. And if the pressure plate is worn out, your clutch is slipping (obviously, from your description). If it's slipping, it's burning up the disc (the nasty smell you noticed). You'll want to replace the pressure plate and disc and resurface (or replace if it can't be resurfaced) the flywheel. And while you're at it, replace the throwout bearing, even if it seems good.
    <b>Mike</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mcjoslyn\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Camaro</a><br />Light Pewter Metallic Convertible<br />AU0,A31,C60,DG7,F41,GU6,K34,L36,M30,T82,T96,UN0<p ><b>If it can\'t be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.</b>

Comment

hmm sounds about right mike.. thanks for the advice..

any info on the clutch materials??

shuld i replace the slave or master cylenders while i am at it??

i really want it to clamp hard.. i am sick of my sissy clutch..

Comment

I got the SPEC Stage 3 in the ceramic material. It is VERY aggressive, maybe too much for the street. Even after so many thousand miles on it, take-offs are often still chattery. The middle of the line material is what I'd chose if I did it again.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

I can't believe I found this post!
          I was just about to post the same thing.
          Yesterday I pulled out of an intersection at the top of a hill, and the clutch pedal only came up halfway. I've only got 14k miles, I've never raced, I'm an experienced manual trans driver. About 6 monthes ago I came out of the same intersection, and had a similar experience, but it was not as severe, so I ignored it.
          What's up with this?
          2002 CAMARO \"RS\"<br /> 3800/M5/Y87

Comment

you only have 14k???

wow.. take it in for service.. that is realllllly odd..

i have like over 40k now.. and i drag/auto-x.. so.. its not a huge surpirise..

Thanks for the feedback onequickv6!
            I am thinking kevlar is the way to go.. but i am gunna talk to a few people first..

What did you do about your slave or master cylnders? did you replace them?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> wow.. take it in for service.. that is realllllly odd.. <hr></blockquote>
              What kind of service?
              It only happened those 2 times, otherwise I've got no complaints.
              I'd really like to know why...anybody got an idea what's going on there?

Comment

warenteed service..

Comment

The centerforce D/F is VERY streetable...
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                  1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I got the DF Centerforce and havent had any issues with it. I had my stock clutch for 20,000 miles until the we beat Notre Dame at home. I was at a tail gate party and everyone wanted me to do a burn out. So I did, 2 back to back burnouts and roasted the clutch :rolleyes: . I have 15,000 miles now on this one and it is still doing fine. I haven't done any burnouts in out or anything. Goodluck.

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Redsix ]</p>
                    <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
                      I got the SPEC Stage 3 in the ceramic material. It is VERY aggressive, maybe too much for the street. Even after so many thousand miles on it, take-offs are often still chattery. The middle of the line material is what I'd chose if I did it again.<hr></blockquote>
                      Everyone I know who runs it says after break-in, it sounds and feels near stock. Only slightly stiffer. If you plan to race your street car, this is exactly what you need on the street.
                      <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

Red six.. you centerforce only lasted 20k?? :(

thats not long enough for me..

Bliggida, that sounds good to me.. I can wait.. Do you have any idea what material to get?? kevlar, carbon, or ceramic..

also my car has like 40K on it.. and i was wondering if i shuld replcae the slave or master cylender??

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:

Everyone I know who runs it says after break-in, it sounds and feels near stock. Only slightly stiffer. If you plan to race your street car, this is exactly what you need on the street.
                          <hr></blockquote>

From what I understand isnt a stage 3 used on 400+ horsepower?? I see he ran a 15.2ish so I dont think he is making over 400hp.. The highest i would go is stage 2.. Thats what I am looking to get.. I am putting about 300hp to the wheels with the 100 shot and stage 2 will be just fine.. I also am looking at the centerforce clutch but dont know much about them except they use weights for the pressure plate..
                          Jeff ..
                          1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                          2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                          1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                          http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>warenteed service.. <hr></blockquote>
                            What's a warentee?
                            Nobody touches my car but me! :D
                            I'm just not sure what, if anything I should do about it.
                            Should I upgrade the clutch just for the hell of it?
                            Is there another problem here that I'm not seeing?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X