Sound like I need a new clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound like I need a new clutch?

I drive a 5 speed manual Camaro, and when I get it into gear and snap it to WOT the car hesitates very badly. The tach barely goes up, and the car feels the same as when I'm engine braking. There is also almost no accelration until the rumbling stops and the car shoots forward, then the tach shows the RPM's increasing as normal.

Right now this happens mostly before I've driven around for 20-30 min. Once the car is good and warm it doesn't do it as much. I'm thinking it sounds like I need a new clutch, my car just hit 90,00 miles. It feels like the clutch isn't catching fully, hence the engine braking sensation. Is there anything else it could be? I've replaced spark plugs, oil and fuel filters and made sure my ignition was working.
    *SOLD 9/4/05*<br />1998 Navy Blue Metallic Camaro M5<br />-Flowmaster cat back<br />-Accel Ignition<br />-K&N Air Filter<br />-Hurst Shift Knob<br /><br />Currently vehicle-less at Ohio State :(

I thought when our clutches go bad, they'll slip when you go wot? Instead of hesitating before it accelerates, the revs shoot up while the clutch is slipping but you don't speed up.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

If the RPMs don't increase when you first start out until the car starts moving, it's probably not clutch. If the clutch were weak, the RPMs would pick up without the car going faster. Put the parking brake on, put the transmission in 3rd or 4th and try to "drive" away. If the engine stalls, the clutch is fine. If the engine picks up, the clutch is slipping and is probably going bad. Another check you can make is to go out and drive it hard for 10 minutes or so and then bring it back and smell it. If the clutch is slipping, you will be able to smell the burnt clutch disc. Don't confuse it with the sulphur (rotten eggs) smell you will sometimes get from a catalytic converter. Based on your description, it sounds more like an off-idle fuel/air problem. In the old days (with carburetors), that was usually caused by a weak accelerator pump. Nowadays it could be a number of things including throttle position sensor, computer, etc. If the car seems to be running properly all other times, I would focus in on that.

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: mcjoslyn ]</p>
      <b>Mike</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mcjoslyn\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Camaro</a><br />Light Pewter Metallic Convertible<br />AU0,A31,C60,DG7,F41,GU6,K34,L36,M30,T82,T96,UN0<p ><b>If it can\'t be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.</b>

Comment

Thanks for the advice. How would I go about checking out those devices? I've got a Chilton's manual and a basic knowledge of cars.
        *SOLD 9/4/05*<br />1998 Navy Blue Metallic Camaro M5<br />-Flowmaster cat back<br />-Accel Ignition<br />-K&N Air Filter<br />-Hurst Shift Knob<br /><br />Currently vehicle-less at Ohio State :(

Comment

There should be diagnostic procedures in the Chiltons. At the very least you will need a multimeter. If it is annoying enough, it may be worth your time (and expense) to take it to the dealer and have them plug it into the computer.
          <b>Mike</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mcjoslyn\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Camaro</a><br />Light Pewter Metallic Convertible<br />AU0,A31,C60,DG7,F41,GU6,K34,L36,M30,T82,T96,UN0<p ><b>If it can\'t be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.</b>

Comment

For what it's worth, there are some pretty loud *THUMP* and *BUMP* noises when this happens. Sounds like it's coming from underneath the car.

I'll take it to my mechanic, and he can't do anything with it I'll go to the dealer.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 57s98Camaro:
              For what it's worth, there are some pretty loud *THUMP* and *BUMP* noises when this happens. Sounds like it's coming from underneath the car.

I'll take it to my mechanic, and he can't do anything with it I'll go to the dealer.
              <hr></blockquote>

From what you've described, it doesn't sound like your clutch. Do you have an SES light flashing when it's hesitsting?
              Sounds like a sensor to me. Get the car scanned at autozone, they'll help you find the problem.
              Also, have them check the motor and trans mounts. They will normally cause a really loud thump when accelerating when bad.

-Marc
              sigpic

Comment

thumping and bumping when accelerating and letting off is likely the tranny mount.
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Thumping and bumping usually mean a broken motor or transmission mount. Have someone sit in the car, step on the brake, put it in gear, and very gently step on the gas a little while you watch under the hood. If the motor shifts a lot, then you have a broken mount. A little shifting is normal because there is some "give" in the mounts, but if it really twists, that's not normal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X