rear end noises...need opinions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end noises...need opinions!!

I was at a park earlier today which has a circular road/track, and Im doing maybe 30mph and I hear this wierd noise coming from the rearend. Im not saying its the LSD, but its definately behind me.
    I thought maybe its the suspension since Im leang towards one side, but after I take off down the road I can still hear it, its really hard to explain this noise, its definately metal, I thought maybe its the exhaust but after I stopped I made sure the tail pipes were secured well(which they were), so Im really at a loss.
    Its really weird, I hear the noise when Im turning left, not right and sometimes when going straight. Could it be my axle? Is this a sign my LSD is going out. I bought the car used with only 29K miles on it and Im sure the individual power braked her quite a bit since thiers barely any tread left on the tires. Im sorry the post is so vague but I really have no idea how to explain it. It starts at higher speeds(25-30mph), sounds like metal on metal, not grinding, more like a knocking or creeking, not extremely loud just barely loud enough for me to hear it inside the car, definately from the rear of the tranny on back, and Im fairly sure its not the exhaust. Any help you fellow fbody owners could lend would be great. Just trying to knip this problem in the bud.
    Sorry for the handicapped post!!!!!!!!!!
    Shane
    00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

I had this same problem...but it was the exhaust. The clearance for my over the axle pipe on my B&B is only 1/4" and it bangs the body. I fixed the exhaust hanger so it won't budge. It sounds like you have done that, but you might want to check.
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Looking through some diagnosis stuff for this type of problem, and it states for noise pronounced on turns, it may be differential side gear and pinion gear noise. Continuous low pitch whirring or scraping noise starting at relatively low speed could be drive pinion inner or outer bearing noise. Hope this helps!

Jon
      \'94 3.4L V6 M5<br />Check out my <a href=\"http://l32projekt.ionichost.com/\" target=\"_blank\">website</a><br />Let me know what you think!<br /> <a href=\"mailto:l32projekt@hotmail.com\">l32projekt@ hotmail.com</a>

Comment

hey thanks guys I appreciate the help, I really think it could be a bearing, the part sounds as if its moving or rotating, which leads me to beleive that it could be an axle, bearing or gears.
        Thanks
        Shane
        00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          2 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X