need your knowledge on 3.73s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need your knowledge on 3.73s

i have searched extensively and read everything there is to read, but what i want is actual thoughts and feelings. i drive 60 miles to work, but love the idea of a strong launch. i thought if i drive 55 mph to work it would not be so bad. am i wrong in this belief? my car has 30000 miles on it now. and i was wondering if anybody here drives daily with 3.73 and if they have had problems. the definition on this site kind of scared me away from getting them. but i think i would love to have them for the track. but then i have 3.42s now and wonder if it would make that much of a difference. anybody out there that can help?
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Go to this link:
    http://www.venommotorsports.com/howt...ldiameters.htm

It should give you all of the information you need and then some. The transmissions ratio of .7 is correct for automatics. If you have a manual, do a search on trans ratio. Someone has a post with the manual gear ratios.
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I heard it messes up your mileage, like if you've gone 20,000 miles it will say 30,000, or something like that.
      Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

If you dont recalibrate youre speedo then it will throw youre milage off

I really don't see any benefit in going with 3.73s unless you *really* are seeking drag times... 3.42s in an A4 should be plenty.

But, it will throw off your speedometer in the safe direction.

If you have 3.42s now in an A4, at 2000RPM you should be going approx 65MPH.

If you change to 3.73s youll still read 65mph @ 2000RPM, but youll actually be going 59mph.

-10%

Your 118mph speedlimiter will become 106.2mph... even though youll still read 118 - and your odometer will be 10% higher.

20,000 miles = 22,000
        100,000 miles = 110,000

I hope that helps...
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

thanks cardinal that really does help. and i really am looking for track times here. with all the money i have spent so far. its all about the 1/4 mile.
          6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Yeah any upgrade on gears if not corrected will cause all these side effects on your car. But you can always get the SLP speed processor (P/N: 63007) and you can correct your speedometer. With it you can always change it. wether you swap gears or change tire sizes in the future. Alot of people talk about taking the car to the dealership and having someone program the computer...but I've found out that its more expensive that way. If you find someone to do it cheaper than $180 then do it through them. But also remember that with the speed processor you can always go back and make changes whenever you need to. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
            <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Cardinal,
              Those percentages on the 3.73's you posted were going from what to what? Like from 3.42's to 3.73's or 3.23's to 3.73's or what?
              <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

I had 3.73's in my '91 Sonoma 2.5L and loved them. I can tell the difference between the 3.23's my Camaro and my old trucks 3.73's. Both were M5's, but the truck was lighter with a smaller engine and the Camaro is heavier with a 6cyl, so I am not sure if it was the gears that made the difference, but I could wind throught the gears. Warning: on M5's the first gear will a really short ride, pop it in, pop it out. I liked them.
                Arctic White \'02 Camaro<br />3.8, 5spd.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X