3.73's parts and Labor $400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.73's parts and Labor $400

Found a shop that will install 3.73's all parts and labor cost $400, is this a good deal?

Sounds like a great deal for parts and labor, just make sure that the gears are a good brand so they don't whine too bad.

I paid $200 for superior gears and about $250 labor, but my mechanic replaced the axle bearings at the same time.
    1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

Not bad. Figure about $180-200+ for the gears, another $70-100 or so for the install kit, if they're installed right it'll take a while... so $150 or so for the install is good...

EDIT: I should add, make sure this mechanic isn't just going to throw the gears in there and call it a day. It takes time and sometimes several attempts to get them shimmed right. Make sure the shop will stand behind their work. For a gear install especially, sometimes it's best to shell out a few extra bucks to go to a reputable mechanic.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: 96BeastV6 ]</p>
      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Yeah I know this guy. He's a member of my local FBODY club. I was refered to him by everybody. I hear he does great work.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pgriffith:
          Yeah I know this guy. He's a member of my local FBODY club. I was refered to him by everybody. I hear he does great work.<hr></blockquote>

Definately a good deal then... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

I paid 300 parts and labor for a whole new rear end with 3.73 LSD [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D

Comment

Sweet, im going in for 3.73's on the 24th. Cant wait. Is there any kind of break in period rules that im should do?

Comment

I read an article in Super Chevy that an ideal breakin time for the longest life of your gears would be about 500 miles. It also said to stop after the first 5-10 miles on the new gears and let them cool for about 15 min and then continue. I can't remember the rest, I'll try to find the article and let you know.

I actually rang up my first 500 miles pulling into the drag strip for the first time.
                1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

Ok well I need to make a 170 mile trip to this guys shop. SO it will be a 170 mile trip home with the new gears. Just dont want to mess them up. Is this gonna be to hard?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    3 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X