hp gains from gear upgrade/zexel diff. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hp gains from gear upgrade/zexel diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp gains from gear upgrade/zexel diff.

I have a 3.23 gear as of now, if i were to upgrade to a 3.42 or a 3.73 what kinda gains could i expect? also would it be a good idea to get a zexel torsen differential with that??
    SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

you dont gain any horsepower by changing your gears or adding a LSD

Comment

No you don't. In fact with lower gears, you're horsepower numbers will go down by a few ponies. You will however accelerate quicker [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Matt [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

so does that mean ur torque increases?? since u are accelerating faster
          SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

NOTHING increases, its just that you're changing your rpm range for a given speed.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Dominic ]</p>
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Same horsepower. Think of it like riding a bike. You can start your bike in like 10th gear and it'd take you a bit to get going, but you can hold that gear out a bit longer till you need to shift; that'd be like 3.23's.
              Now think of starting in like say 3rd gear. You can get up and go much quicker with the same amount of power as before, but you'll hafta shift sooner to keep pulling; That'd be like 3.73's.
              That's how I've been relating gear ratios in my head, they produce the same amount of power, just the higher gears help you to accelerate a bit faster. At least I hope I'm relating this right, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: AlienInv8r ]</p>
              AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
                NOTHING increases, its just that you're changing your rpm range for a given speed.
                <hr></blockquote>

Oh, are you quite confident that nothing increases? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Torque multiplication is increased. The wheels therefore experience increased torque throughout each gear at every rpm. The increased torque increases acceleration. The increased acceleration means that the engine is reving faster. The increased acceleration within the engine requires more power, so the usable out put of the motor is actually partially reduced. Hence, if you take a car and dyno it, then swap the rear gears for lower ones and dyno it again, you will end up with slightly lower numbers the second time.

Oddly enough, I know that you know all of what I just posted.
                Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Thank you HAZ-MATT!

Geez folks. Lower gears multiply the power you have going to the wheels. Gear changes (if you don't account for them) will show up on a dyno! (don't agree with you there Haz-Matt)

A swap from 3.23 to 3.42 is about the same feeling as if you added 12 horsepower.

A jump to 3.73's will feel like a gain of 25 horsepower.

Break it down to simple numbers.
                  You have a 200 horse engine and a 1:1 rear gear. That means 200HPx1= 200HP going to the rear gear (not counting your driveline loss right now)
                  But you step up to a 2:1 gear then all the sudden you've doubled your power. 200HPx2=400.

So it would take you 400 horsepower with a 1:1 gear to equal the same amount of power that it would with 200 horsepower at a 2:1 gear.
                  <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                    Thank you HAZ-MATT!

Geez folks. Lower gears multiply the power you have going to the wheels. Gear changes (if you don't account for them) will show up on a dyno! (don't agree with you there Haz-Matt)
                    <hr></blockquote>

No that is the point. When corrected for gears, you will see lower horsepower numbers. Lower gears show reduced dyno numbers of maybe 1-2HP because the engines do infact put out less usable power. The energy needed to rev faster has to come from somewhere.

Comment

All I have to say is get the 3.73 gears and LSD. There's no sense in multiplying the torque at the wheels if you can't get traction. 3.42's aren't worth it if you already have 3.23's.
                      1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L A4 (160hp 200tq)<br />2006 Nissan 350Z 3.5L M6 (300hp 260tq)

Comment

Haz, you realize that between dyno runs it it quite common to see a difference of 5 hp considered to be normal??? That is with the same equipment running the same tune - two different numbers.

1-2 horsepower. That translates to about .5 percent of the whole - HALF of 1 percent. (on our engines, much much less in vehicles that make big power) That could be the difference of you deciding to jump up in the seat at 3,000 RPM as opposed to jumping up in the seat at 4,000 RPM on the dyno. Its so insignificant that it wouldn't make any difference in any race.
                        <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          5 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X