Wanna Add Posi to 3.08's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna Add Posi to 3.08's

I want a posi rearend but I don't wanna put 3.42 and change the computer and all that bull. I know the 3.08 are lame but my car seems potent enough I have no problem spankin 94-95 GT's and my roomates Y87 firebird so why upgrade. I'm sick of peg leggin it and low traction in wet weather. Should I get a a series 2 carrier and do it? Is it really worth it? All my previous F-bodies had posi and I really miss it, I never thought I would notice but it really is noticable. I need my rearend fluid changed anyway so I was thinkin I might as well get my boys to drop in a posi unit. Let me know if you guys think its worth it!
    1999 Camaro Hugger Orange 3800 A4 <p>Mods-SLP SS exhaust, K&N, SLP STB, SLP SFCS, 1LE Sway Bars(32/19), 99 C5 Wheels on 255/45ZR17\'s-17\'s on all corners...Non-Y87

You realize that in inclement weather that instead of peg-leggin, that both tires will spin, and you';l then be at a greater risk of spinning out. During dry traction it will help kill wheel hop and make a tad more traction. But 3.08's with posi it may just bog a little but when you mash the gas.

If your friend has the same year Y87, you can get a dealer to reprogram yours to 3.42 ratio so your speedometer will be accurate. Won't be this big problem you assume is. Just a thought.

Have fun with posi either way.
    <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

I think I need more than a dealer to reprogram my car's speeedo. I would need a PCM reflash and thats hard to get w/o a y87 correct VIN. Plus I was under the impression that posi is always better than an open diff in any onroad slippery situation, ex rain.
      1999 Camaro Hugger Orange 3800 A4 <p>Mods-SLP SS exhaust, K&N, SLP STB, SLP SFCS, 1LE Sway Bars(32/19), 99 C5 Wheels on 255/45ZR17\'s-17\'s on all corners...Non-Y87

Comment

It helps you to make traction, yes. In that sense it helps you out. But, if you try to use any amount of gas, since you have posi you'll spin both tires intead of one. When you spin both tires you fishtale and loose control.

So long as you have a Y87 VIN from a simillar year car. The switch shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes. And everything will be fixed.
        <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

I thought that Zexel Torsen LSD engaged when you loose traction at one wheel, then transfered that power to the other wheel? OR am I wrong?
          <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

It multiplies torque, and TORSEN is short for Torque Sensing differential.
            When it sense torque spinning on one side it multiplies it to the other side. Usually in the neighborhood of a 4:1 ratio.

If you are stopped at a light or stop sign and the road is wet. Where giving it normal gas with a non-posi car may spin one tire. The grip of turning both tires will catch traction and allow you to drive away under control. If you start adding throttle and putting more power to the ground, and are going straight or were going straight when you hit the gas, the differential is going to luck up and put equal power to both sides - that's when you start fishtailing.

As best as I can describe it is, if you drive easily the LSD helps you to maintain control. If you drive hard it makes controlling the car much much more difficult to maintain.

Comment

either way... 3.08s are a 2 series carrier and i dont think zexel torsen makes a 2 series carrier LSD for our cars. might as well bump up to a 3.42, which is a 3 series, while youre at it.

Comment

multiplies torque?--no...it transfers torque...and half actually
                Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

Does anyone endorse this idea or should I let it die? Like I said earlier I don't feel the need to put in 3.42's b/c I can spank my roommates 99 Y87 f/bird. Mine seems to be a potent f-body and I really only wanted posi to make my launches feel better and just the security of posi. I'm used to it, like I stated every car I've owned(I'm only 23 and on my 3 f-body) has had it and if my car wasn't the exact color I wanted I would have passed it up for a Y87 car. Anyway do you all think its worth it?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hugger3800:
                    Does anyone endorse this idea or should I let it die? Like I said earlier I don't feel the need to put in 3.42's b/c I can spank my roommates 99 Y87 f/bird. Mine seems to be a potent f-body and I really only wanted posi to make my launches feel better and just the security of posi. I'm used to it, like I stated every car I've owned(I'm only 23 and on my 3 f-body) has had it and if my car wasn't the exact color I wanted I would have passed it up for a Y87 car. Anyway do you all think its worth it?<hr></blockquote>

Nothing is wrong with 3.08 gears imo personally if you do a lot of highway driving, daily driving, etc.

but I also see nothing wrong with just doing a complete swap to 3.42s or even 3.23s. I think it'd probably cost less to do it rather than adding posi to a series 2 carrier, and your gas mileage wouldn't drop all that much (if at all).

Comment

why wouldnt you want 3.42s? i cant see why you wouldnt.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hugger3800:
                        Does anyone endorse this idea or should I let it die? Like I said earlier I don't feel the need to put in 3.42's b/c I can spank my roommates 99 Y87 f/bird. Mine seems to be a potent f-body and I really only wanted posi to make my launches feel better and just the security of posi. I'm used to it, like I stated every car I've owned(I'm only 23 and on my 3 f-body) has had it and if my car wasn't the exact color I wanted I would have passed it up for a Y87 car. Anyway do you all think its worth it?<hr></blockquote>

Your roommate can't drive. If you spank him now w/ 3.08's, then you'll kill him with 3.42's, trust me.

You'll have to go w/ a 2-series carrier LSD, which will be expensive b/c you can't buy a take-off 2-series like you can the 3-series for $100.

You'll end up spending the same amount of money whether you put in a 2-series LSD or switch to a 3.42 and 3-series take-off LSD.

The PCM reflash IS a snap. I just got on here and asked everybody to help me find a VIN for a 1998 Y87 A4 and I got one in about 10 minutes. I took that VIN to a dealership where a friend of mine does diagnostics and he re-flashed it in about ten minutes. Costed me $30, everything is correct-speedo and shift points.

It really was one of the best mods I have done. Much quicker. If you go with more mods, you'll really wish that you had 3.42's.
                        Whisper Lid/K&N Intake, NOS 5175 Kit w/ Polished Bottle, Moser 3.42\'s w/ Auburn LSD, SLP Ram Air H.O. Hood, Pacesetter Ceramic Coat Headers-3\" in/out hi-flo cat, 3\" I-pipe, Edelbrock Muffler, Boyd Coddington Smoothie Two\'s

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                          You realize that in inclement weather that instead of peg-leggin, that both tires will spin, and you'll then be at a greater risk of spinning out. <hr></blockquote>

This is true up to a point...with the Posi, it takes more to spin the wheels, hence is safer. My M5 Bird would spin and try to drift to the right at the slightest acceleration...now with the Posi, it takes more to spin them, and when they do spin, they spin equally and it does not try to drift to the right.

In summary...Posi better in rain and slick roads. An Open diff. may be better with an auto and 3.08's, but with a stick...open just sux. In any case, try and prevent spinning.
                          [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Jack ]</p>
                          97 Silver Bird<br />3.8 M5 Bone Stock Engine<br />15.528 @ 88.96 bone stock<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbodyenhancements.com/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyenhancements.com/</a>

Comment

Going from 3.08s to 3.42s/lsd I noticed a difference in traction in wet conditions. Its better with the lower gear ratio and lsd. Punching it now I can't even get traction when its dry, but that's because of my converter ;) You might as well go with the 3.42s, it won't affect your gas mileage significantly, and the car will be a lot more responsive.
                            -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

OK I'm sold! 3.42's it is! I just gotta find a VIN# for 1999. How much does the total install run?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X