93-94 v8 rear end into 2001 v6 car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93-94 v8 rear end into 2001 v6 car

i bought Rear end out of what the seller said was a 94-95 z28 camaro. It has disc brakes. and 3 channel abs. its got LSD probably the factory unit and 3.73 gears.
    My car is also 3 channel. so i'm in the clear on that part but what other issues might i have?
    do i have to worry about proportioning/metering valves?
    wheel fitment?
    can my existing calipers/rotors/hub be swapped to it? I haven't looked at the rear brakes on my car recently but I think the emergency brake may be different between the two.
    are the calipers any better from the v8 rear end to the v6?
    will i need any type of shims?
    thanx
    Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 05-28-2013, 11:57 PM.

Re: 93-94 v8 rear end into 2001 v6 car

Pre 98 rear disc brakes are slightly smaller than the 98 up rear discs. Pre 98 they were an option after 98 all cars got them. I believe the pre 98 are solid non vented rotors. The 98 up are better brakes.
    sigpic

Comment

k. i've been doing more research, it looks as if i can swap all of the brakes/hub etc. over but i will have to switch out the axles. can anybody tell me how difficult this is? i've never worked on rear ends. never had much of a desire, i don't care for the smell of gear oil much lol

edit: i've looked into it a little more and it sounds pretty simple. but if there is anything like proportiong valves, shims etc. please let me know
      Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Doing the axles is straight forward, good luck with it. If you needed shims you would already would of needed them by now so I think your good.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

cool thanx

Comment

I wouldn't expect the axles to have to be swapped, but they will definitely need to come out in order to swap the brake backing plates. You need to remove the diff cover, remove an 8mm bolt, and a large pin in the centre of a diff to loosen the axles. Then push them in to remove the c-clips and pull them out.

Comment

yeah i do want to switch the brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                I wouldn't expect the axles to have to be swapped, but they will definitely need to come out in order to swap the brake backing plates.
                93-97 axles are 1/4" longer than 98+ axles.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                  93-97 axles are 1/4" longer than 98+ axles.

And I belive there is a difference in the diamater of the nub on the center of the flange?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    And I belive there is a difference in the diamater of the nub on the center of the flange?
                    Yes - you are correct - the 93-97 is larger.

Raven

Comment

"the nub on the center of the flange" huh?

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                        "the nub on the center of the flange" huh?

In the center of the studs. Some wheels will not fit over the larger nub.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                          In the center of the studs. Some wheels will not fit over the larger nub.
                          http://www.tacreationsusa.com/firebird_wheels.htm#notes

Raven

Comment

Just have to grind the center hub easy enough , but since your swaping axles the center hub won't be a problem, only problem I forsee is the newer axles not fitting the older rearend like they should esp. since their shorter.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X