Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about axles and gears

I need some advice...

I had some noise coming from the rear end, so I put in new bearings on the rear right axle. Then it came out that the axle was worn where the bearings were I guess, so I put in a new rear right axle and new bearings.

The noise did not go away, it was still coming I guess from the rear end itself. So I figured it's the pinion bearing...so I bought a new bearing kit for the rear end and when they opened it, they noticed there was a tooth missing on one of the spider gears, so I ordered new spider gears too and did not touch anything until I received them.

Now, today, when they opened the rear end to put in the new bearings and spider gears, they noticed the rear LEFT axle was also worn at that spot.

My question is should I change the bearings and spider gears and just put back in the same axle with the little wear and maybe get a new axle down the road? Can it damage the new spider gears and bearings?

It's a 2001 Camaro by the way...

Thanks

Re: Question about axles and gears

If it were me I would go all new, just to get it out of the way and not worry about it.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That would be easiest for me too but if I was in the US. It's a little harder to get these bigger parts over in Europe quickly, I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks

Comment

Thats pretty far for parts, I guess theres not big parts section for F-bodies in Europe.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I had to do the same thing with my rear end a while back. Started as a gear swap, ended as an entire rebuild, with Moser axles for some reason. But like he said, your best bet is to get all new. Only thing is, does your car have the Zexel LSD? That would make it more difficult to change spider gears.

Comment

Did you compare the new axle length with the old axle? 93-97 and 98+ axles are DIFFERENT lengths.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I just went through this whole ordeal myself. Replace both axles, all the bearings, and spider gears at the SAME time. I did one side at a time and had to replace some bearings twice in a month. Do not try used stuff, I have done it and had to replace the stuff again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X