Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trany going out?

hey guys

how would you know if you tranny is going to go out soon?

i have a feeling mine is, the reason is when i bought my bird it would grind in 2nd or 3rd gear because i did not have a tranny mount. that's what they had told me , and the guy still drove it like that before i bought it. i don't know for how long tho.

i fixed it as soon as i got it but ever since then when im at a cruising speed in those same gears my rpm move about 50-75 rpm between 1500 and 1700. it goes back and fourth until i give it more gas and it shift down to speed up.

and if these are sigh of it going out , if so how much did it or would it cost to rebuild but with a little performance? for those who have done this (mines an automatic)
    Last edited by FIREBIRDV6RAGE; 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM.

Re: trany going out?

The symptoms are repairable and wouldn't require a complete rebuild. All costs will vary by location. You could save alot by pulling it yourself and bring it to the shop you choose. Shop around for upgrade kits and torque converters to bring with it. You may also find the price of a pre-built performance transmission not that much more expencive, unless you have a speciffic build requirement. Add your local dealers in your list of shops for estimates, their not always the best but it'll have a waranty.

Comment

Sounds common to me, the converter just cant decide when and when not to lock up

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
        Sounds common to me, the converter just cant decide when and when not to lock up
        i didn know that was why , so you have the same problem. i thought my tranny was going out from the damage the previous owner did.

Comment

it kinda shutters when it does it? jumps back and forth? Both my tranny's have done that. I think it has something to do with the TCC...just give it a little throttle to get out of that threshold area. I cant remember the speed mine used to do it at, but I do remember it was right around when the converter would go to lock up and drop down to about 1500rpm while cruising. I think I eventually tuned mine out for the most part, I just bumped up when the converter locks up in the tune.

All you need to do is just give it a little gas to unlock the converter and let the rpms rise a bit so it doesnt do it.

Comment

it kinda shutters when it does it? jumps back and forth? Both my tranny's have done that. I think it has something to do with the TCC...just give it a little throttle to get out of that threshold area. I cant remember the speed mine used to do it at, but I do remember it was right around when the converter would go to lock up and drop down to about 1500rpm while cruising. I think I eventually tuned mine out for the most part, I just bumped up when the converter locks up in the tune.

All you need to do is just give it a little gas to unlock the converter and let the rpms rise a bit so it doesnt do it.
            yea thats what i usually do, i just hate the noise of it moving back and forth. then who ever is with me is like whats wrong with your car.

Comment

cant you try to put the car not in overdrive to see if it still happens?

Comment

If you take the car out of OD it shouldnt do it. The car is just trying to lock up too low. If you took a manual car and threw it into 5th at too low a speed it shutters/ bogs and does the exact same thing.

Comment

If you take the car out of OD it shouldnt do it. The car is just trying to lock up too low. If you took a manual car and threw it into 5th at too low a speed it shutters/ bogs and does the exact same thing.
                  il try it tomorow on my way to school

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X