Brass Shifter Cup Installed. I like it! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass Shifter Cup Installed. I like it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Shifter Cup Installed. I like it!

I had my clutch replaced recently and when I got the car back the shifter was sloppy and I knew that the shifter cup was missing. I figured this was a good time to upgrade. I did not expect much, some said it did nothing, some said it did. But I did not realize the installation was so annoying.

When I pulled the shifter out the old one was in three pieces, which explains why it was vibrating so bad.

This piece if PRESS FIT. If you don't want to bang in something with a hammer I recommend not doing this.

BUT I feel it was worth it though. I had a Hurst shifter in it already, but it went from a plasticy click clack noise to a metallic noise, BONUS! It sounds more expensive and the shifts are more positive and firm. So if yours is worn go ahead and do it, the worst thing that could happen is you never have to replace the piece again, because its brass.

Re: Brass Shifter Cup Installed. I like it!

Where did you get it?
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I bought it off of ebay, but it turned out to be Hawks thirdgen and I paid $5 more than their website lists it.

Comment

Sweet! Lol I ordered one from Hawks on Monday! Should get it Friday, installed Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          Sweet! Lol I ordered one from Hawks on Monday! Should get it Friday, installed Saturday.
          Cool! Maybe you can find a better way to install it, please post up for everyone if you do.
          My method felt barbaric. I would have like to have some hard plastic item to put in between the brass cup and hammer. Wood didn't seem good to me, because I didn't want splinters in my transmission.

Comment

Why not just a small seal hammer?

Comment

Um, banging **** in with a hammer? I'm in!

My Hurst came with a new cup.

Comment

Why not just a small seal hammer?
                You need something soft in between the hammer and brass cup. Brass is too soft to be hit by steel. I am not sure what a seal hammer is, but it is still hard to get a hammer with a long enough head to reach the cup. You will see what I am talking about when you do it.

Comment

I guess a seal driver? Its a handle with an aluminum base to pound seals into tight places. Used em for my axle seals.

Comment

I guess a seal driver? Its a handle with an aluminum base to pound seals into tight places. Used em for my axle seals.
                    Looking at google images, the seal driver makes sense.

Comment

A rubber deadblow would be good for this.....
                      1995 Pontiac Firebird
                      2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

I dunno how you'd get it down low enough to get a solid angle on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
                          A rubber deadblow would be good for this.....
                          I did that, the sharp metal pieces in the transmission ended up shredding the rubber, I spent 20 minutes with a pair of needle noses plucking the little bits out.

Comment

Originally posted by KJZ28 View Post
                            I did that, the sharp metal pieces in the transmission ended up shredding the rubber, I spent 20 minutes with a pair of needle noses plucking the little bits out.
                            They also make them in a hard plastic just for this instance. But if spending $20-$40 for a hammer isn't to your liking, break the tip of an old screwdriver and use the handle end on the brass.

Brass is harder than plastic.....within reason of course.
                            1995 Pontiac Firebird
                            2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
                              They also make them in a hard plastic just for this instance. But if spending $20-$40 for a hammer isn't to your liking, break the tip of an old screwdriver and use the handle end on the brass.

Brass is harder than plastic.....within reason of course.
                              That makes a lot of sense. I wish I did that, and its the perfect size.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X