Transmission Dying. Where to buy new one? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Dying. Where to buy new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Dying. Where to buy new one?

My Camaro (96 3.8 Auto), transmission is crapping out. I am getting loud noises and clicks when I try to get up to speed above 55. Not sure what is wrong with it. Where would be the best place to buy a new one? I kind of don't want to deal with a shop but just replace it with a new one myself. About 2 1/2 to 3 years ago the trans was rebuilt, but the service engine soon light never went away, the 1870 code never went away. The shop just passed me off saying it was a hard code. So I let it be and now it is I think about to give out. So any suggestions will help. Should I go with AutoZone or any other website.

Re: Transmission Dying. Where to buy new one?

Car-part.com, craigslist, ls1tech, and here would be good places to search online. There's always cars being parted out on ls1tech and occasionally here.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Local srcap yard, I got my 02' A4 for $400 with 100 miles on it.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Not sure how lucky I would be if I go to a scrap yard. I might just buy it from AutoZone. It seems to be the cheapest option. Any other suggestions before I buy it.

Comment

if your going to have that code still on when you get a new tranny. its just gana do the same over time,i checked the code on alldata and the reason its going out is cause the engine speed does not match the tranny speed according to alldata. and the ones from oauto zone are not new they are rebuilt ones, you could check with a gm dealership and ask if they still have new ones, not rebuilt ones

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
            if your going to have that code still on when you get a new tranny. its just gana do the same over time,i checked the code on alldata and the reason its going out is cause the engine speed does not match the tranny speed according to alldata. and the ones from oauto zone are not new they are rebuilt ones, you could check with a gm dealership and ask if they still have new ones, not rebuilt ones
            Thanks, I didn't even think about checking with a gm dealership. If the price is okay, I just might.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelrunner View Post
              Thanks, I didn't even think about checking with a gm dealership. If the price is okay, I just might.
              your welcome man:tup:

Comment

Well contacted a GM dealership and they can order one for a little under 1900. That is pretty much what it would cost from AutoZone also.

Comment

Performabuilt make them for the v6? Or flt?
                  1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                  1994 Camaro - Sold
                  1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

If you're Willing to pay $1900, you might as well buy a used one for $2-300 and have it built to handle more hp/tq than your v6 could even dream of... Personally, I would buy a known to be good used one and save myself well over $1000 from what a new one cost. But that's just my opinion..
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Rs View Post
                      Performabuilt make them for the v6? Or flt?
                      I bought a performabuilt level 1 for my v6 after going through two stock units.
                      Best money I ever spent. Highly recommend.

Comment

Last e-mail from GM dealership, and they said that the transmission is no longer in stock and I have to go through a transmission shop. So, I have decided to just put the $2,000 that I would put for a new transmission into buying a used car. I have been looking at some youtube videos and I will be attempting to rebuild it myself. So I will keep everyone updated on how to rebuild it. I might get to it on the up coming weeks or wait until Summer break. I will try and update everyone this weekend.

Comment

the 1870 code can often be fixed by just a new valve body and seperator plate or even just a specially designed tcc solenoid... designed to fit in the worn out bore.
                          but if its making noises, i would say thats probably not the case.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X