Woo woo woo noise coming from RH rear wheel. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woo woo woo noise coming from RH rear wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woo woo woo noise coming from RH rear wheel.

Originally posted by KJZ28 View Post
    So now I need new axle and bearing.
    Axles come in different lengths for 93-97 and 98+. Reason is the different rear brakes. The 93-97 axles are LONGER.

Use the wrong one - and you're ****ed.

And don't let some aftermarket guy tell you they are the same!

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
      Is this condition a result of winter climate or just design flaws. I have a 2000 and have not noticed any symptoms but I am in Florida.
      it is usually the result of a loss of diff fluid and the bearings not getting enough diff fluid and eating into the axles. when the diff fluid is full there isnt much fluid going to the axles where the bearings ride on

if you are having trouble finding them, there is a local place called jj's automotive ( http://www.jjsautomotive.com/ ) they specialize in f bodies and have acres of 4th gens laying around with a bunch of trailors full of stuff. When I went to pick up some axles he had a tailor full of them, every year, with the reluctor wheel and without

Comment

Well mine was a combo of things, a bearing went bad and I neglected it for awhile, then when I put the new bearing in, the now messed up axle made the new bearing go bad. So now I need new axle and bearing. The pitting I am not sure about.
        this is what my axle looked like when I took it out (passenger side)

and thats not too bad compared to others i have seen (literally 1/8" of material was ground down)

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          Axles come in different lengths for 93-97 and 98+. Reason is the different rear brakes. The 93-97 axles are LONGER.

Use the wrong one - and you're ****ed.

And don't let some aftermarket guy tell you they are the same!

Thanks for the tip, I probably would have made that mistake.

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          it is usually the result of a loss of diff fluid and the bearings not getting enough diff fluid and eating into the axles. when the diff fluid is full there isnt much fluid going to the axles where the bearings ride on

if you are having trouble finding them, there is a local place called jj's automotive ( http://www.jjsautomotive.com/ ) they specialize in f bodies and have acres of 4th gens laying around with a bunch of trailors full of stuff. When I went to pick up some axles he had a tailor full of them, every year, with the reluctor wheel and without
          Thanks I will check that out.

this is what my axle looked like when I took it out (passenger side)

and thats not too bad compared to others i have seen (literally 1/8" of material was ground down)
          That looks crazy, I only saw the scratches on mine, I will look harder for that when I pull them.
          Last edited by KJZ28; 01-02-2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

When I buy axles does it matter if I order for 7.5 or 7.625?

Comment

When I buy axles does it matter if I order for 7.5 or 7.625?
              no, you just need the year of the car, and if it has a reluctor wheel or not

Comment

no, you just need the year of the car, and if it has a reluctor wheel or not
                I can only find ones that say traction control only, does it still work on my nonTC car?

Comment

I can only find ones that say traction control only, does it still work on my nonTC car?
                  you should be able to slide the reluctor wheel off (which is used for the traction control) but don't quote me on that

Comment

you should be able to slide the reluctor wheel off (which is used for the traction control) but don't quote me on that
                    I read in another post, I feel more confident with 2 people saying it. Thanks.

Comment

I think mine was one of those that had nearly 1/8" missing... driver side for me. Passenger looked like yours too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X