few q's pertaining to drivetain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few q's pertaining to drivetain

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to the drivetrain especially when it comes to transmissions. So please bare with me

If I were to get the eaton posi from thunderracing which gear ratio should I get? I heard going too high in the ratio and then you lose some top end speed. I'd like to get better pickup but I don't really want to loose too much top end.

Depending on which ratio I choose I must also tune the computer correct? However, apparentely the 96 pcm is untunable from what I hear. So am I forced to buy a 97 pcm because I heard those are tunable.

Let's say hypothetically that my auto trans slips under low/moderate acceleration would slipage in the transmission translate to damage to the rear end? It would be an immense let down if I bought a new rear end and then it gets ****ed from the trans.

I do appreciate the time and knowledge you expended by reading and hopfully commenting on.:D

Re: few q's pertaining to drivetain

4.1 is the highest I'd go with.

Comment

Yes you need to get a 97 pcm and tune it.

I would fix the trans slipping before I did rear end work...what fun is gears/posi if your trans is slipping and it feels like your not hooking up anyways?

I dont see how your trans can damage your rear end via slipping

lastly, I wouldnt spend the money on an eaton unit, I had one for just over a year and destroyed it. Get a used auburn or zexel for half the cost. If you manage to burn that, then go with a ford 8.8 or 9"

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I think 3.73's are a good choice for a auto.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

3.90s is still my preferable gear...I'd actually prefer to go back to them over the 4.10s I currently have

Comment

Do you use a paddle kit for 3.90's? Like the 4.10's.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

no paddle kit

Comment

Thanks for helpin' me out dude's I'll definitely take your advice.:)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X