P1870 Internal Transmission Component Slipping - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P1870 Internal Transmission Component Slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1870 Internal Transmission Component Slipping

I bought this 97 Camaro with 79,900 miles about a month ago. I used the car to bracket race and also pull my buddies motorcycle to the track on a 4 X 8 trailer. This combo weighs about 800 lbs. On the way to the track the other day about 180 miles into the trick we pull in to a gas station and I notice the 1-2 shift is firm at low rpm. When I pull back onto the highway it is fine but I trip the SES light. When I scan I get the above code. I clear the code, make the rest of the trip, race, and pull home with no more hard shifting or SES light. The fluid is slightly brown with a slight burnt smell. Last night we replaced the fluid and filter as well as added Lucas Oil Trans Additive. I have searched and read about the TCC valve but I have also read about a fluid change possible fixing my problem.
    The question is it doing it bc the fluid is burnt or more likely in my mind the fluid is burnt bc the trans is slipping. This is the 3rd trip to the track since I've owned the car and the first time I have had issues. I have owned to LS1's in the past and pulled his bike thousands of miles without issues.

Also the trans pan was pretty clean with no metal in it.

So do you think the fluid change with fix the problem or is it the valve most likely?
    Last edited by jeremy341a; 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM.

Re: P1870 Internal Transmission Component Slipping

Is 1870 the only code?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yes it was the only code.

Comment

There is a well known issue with the 4l60e in our Camaros throwing an 1870, the cause is wear in the TCC valve allowing fluid to seap around it. search 1870 on the forums and you will find plenty of info. There is a fairly low cost part you can replace to resolve this issue.

I have that problem on mine, when it heats up (long drives) the 1-2 shift becomes extremely firm, mines been doing it for years but I only drive far enough to cause this maybe 1 or 2 times a year so I haven't fixed it yet.

Comment

I've done some reading on it. Can I just replace the valve or do I need to actually bore the housing. What I'm asking I guess it the valve worn or the bore worn?

Comment

A nice Transgo shift kit would be a nice upgrade if your going to do the servo.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You have to actually bore the...bore and they put a sleeve in with a new piston and spring. I had it done for about $400.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                You have to actually bore the...bore and they put a sleeve in with a new piston and spring. I had it done for about $400.
                Wrongo Bongo. No offense. :P The bore really doesn't wear around the valve, its the valve that wears in the bore.

You can replace the valve with the slightly oversized one you can find on 4l60-e.com, or just get the Transgo HD-2 shift kit and fix her right up and add some pep at the same time. I actually bought the replacement valve and used it with the HD-2 kit instead of the one it included because it seemed a bit beefier to me when comparing the two side-by-side.

When I first encountered this issue, I threw the 1870 first, cleared it, it didn't come back but the transmission just didn't seem right again until I took it to the shop and had them flush the trans. This fixed it for a while, but it definitely popped back up and burned my fluid again. HD-2 kit with other valve and no problems yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreet77 View Post
                  Wrongo Bongo. No offense. :P The bore really doesn't wear around the valve, its the valve that wears in the bore.
                  http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...C-4L60E-IN.pdf

I was mistaken, there is no sleeve (i had this issue in 2010, I am now a 5 spd guy) BUT- you must ream the bore for the new valve can be installed. And as you can see at step 17, the bore does wear, causing need for it to be reamed in step 19 to fit the oversized valve
                  Last edited by flamingchicken; 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM.
                  Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

With the fluid starting to burn do you think I will just need the valve or do I have other problems as well?

Comment

I would just get a Transgo shift kit for $80 and it will take care of 1st& 2nd and 3rd and 4th alot better shifts and your tranny will last longer.

Comment

I would take it somewhere reputable, and get a solid (and preferrably free) diagnosis.
                        Team NoVa

Comment

I have an appointment for Friday.

Comment

I researched this a ton when I had this issue and finally found that I didn't have to ream it, that was 6 years ago so I don't remember exactly how I came to that conclusion but since it all still works perfectly 6 years later I don't think I did it wrong. BUT, IIRC I called the guys at 4l60-e.com and they told me it wasn't necessary.

Comment

Just got a call from the trans shop that the car is done. Went through the valve body and fixed the tcc valve. $310 out the door.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X