Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5sp to 6sp tranny swap?

Greetings all,

I've dropped the 5sp manual out of my '98 v6 for replacement (bad 1st gear) and I have some questions about replacement possibilities-

first, since the out-going Borg Warner is a clunky peice of crap that never shifted well to begin with, I was contemplating replacing it with a 6 speed. Anyone done this before? I think the tranny length will be about the same, since I'm already using an aluminum racing shaft that came from a Trans-Am, but I'm wondering about pairing it with my existing rear-end....will there be too much difference in the gearing ratio? what other parts will I need to swap? will the transmission mount support need to be replaced?

If I were to stay with 5 speed, is there a better quality alternative to the Borg tranny? (excluding new after-market, I have to stay on budget, so I'll be buying salvaged)

lastly, I'll also be replacing the rubber tranny mount for the second time, they are apparently very weak....i was considering cutting a replacement from a block of teflon, has anyone done a "hard" replacement for their tranny mount? I'm wondering how much vibration would translate up through the stick?
    or can anyone reccommend a "heavy duty" mount that can stand up to some punishment?

Thankx,
    Bear

Re: 5sp to 6sp tranny swap?

Poly mount will last forever other than that your out of budget for a newer 5speed and upgrading to a 6 speed.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...=102626&page=2 There's info on swaping a 6spd in this thread.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

You already have a manual equipped car so you're ahead of me on that one. If I had a T-5 equipped car it wouldn't have been such an ordeal for me.

Yes you can, but it can be expensive just because the adapter plate I used is from Australia and it was around $450 shipped here.

Still buttoning things up on my car, but eventually I'll do a write up.

Comment

Heya W.S.

Thanks for the info...so you're saying that the 6 speed has a different bolt pattern on the bell?
          that may be a deal killer for me, mine's a daily driver so I need to keep this simple.
          so I'd ask this, do you know if GM used any other brand of 5 speed to mate to the 3800, or just Borg?

THX,
          Bear

Comment

96'-02' 5 speeds will work. Or you can do a auto.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

your best bet is to stick with the t5 you have since there the best option for our cars.

Comment

simple answer is you have to keep the borg

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

My feelings on the matter are this : the t56 was geared for an engine that makes over 300 hp, and a fair bit more torque than our lil v6. That being said, in order for the swap the be utilized to its potential, you would need a substantial horsepower/torque bump, or some higher gears in the rear end...or a nice combonation of both.
                  Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I have 3.42's. 6th gear at around 70mph is 2000 rpm. Granted I also have the Mn12 T-56 out of a GTO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X