Is my clutch going or do I need to adjust something? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my clutch going or do I need to adjust something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my clutch going or do I need to adjust something?

For a while my clutch has seemed to engage pretty far into the pedal travel path. I've noticed recently that it is almost all the way at the end of the travel. I don't have any slipping yet that I've noticed (I tend to try to go easy on the pedal release and throttle fearing my car still has an original clutch at 135K). Would it be wise to be prepping for a clutch replacement or is there something to adjust the clutch engagement? Are there any simple tests I can do without removing the transmission?
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Is my clutch going or do I need to adjust something?

Well after some reading I guess the answer is wait until it slips or won't disengage.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

You should be able to tell, like if you have to let it out further than before is a good sign of it going out, or your master is taking a crap.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If my clutch is original I'm guessing it is on its way to wearing out. I got the car about 9 years ago with 110k on the clock and no maint records, I've replaced a lot of stuff that should have been ok had it been taken care of. While I've only put 25k on the clock its been short trips for the most part which isn't super clutch friendly. The clutch engages when the pedal is almost fully released. I was wondering if the hydraulics could be failing as well but this has been a gradual change so I'm leaning towards the clutch at this point.

I've started looking into parts for a clutch replacement and I'm currently looking at an oem clutch disc and pressure plate through gmpartsdirect but I don't see the throwout bearing on there so I'm still looking for a source for that as it seems to be an important piece of the clutch replacement package. I'm going to call local shops about having the flywheel resurfaced.

It seems a good number of people address the master and slave cylinders when doing the clutch as well. I'm still looking into the importance of that as I'd like to do this right and cover all the bases as keeping this car around for a while is looking like a strong possibility.

Comment

With that many miles, I would think so.lol
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well my clutch did the same exact thing but one day i was trying to fly around a corner heel toed it let out on it and bam no more clutch had to hold it in gear so i could get somewhere i could park it

Comment

just to let you know for the factory throw out bearing is only sold with the slave cylinder from the dealer and gmparts direct. the name of the whole assembly is the clutch actuator. i t will be the most expensive part of the clutch. i paid 150 for the part from the dealer with a discount. but i found my master to be the source of my soft pedal. i would suggest swapping out the master first. go with one from napa i got one from orrileys and i is going out again only after a year.

Comment

Checked, or change the clutch fluid lately? If so, I hope you're not using DOT 3 brake fluid. Need to use GM CLUTCH fluid.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                  Checked, or change the clutch fluid lately? If so, I hope you're not using DOT 3 brake fluid. Need to use GM CLUTCH fluid.

what is the difference? i am using dot 3 fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by madforce10 View Post
                    what is the difference? i am using dot 3 fluid.
                    Brake fluid is for braking systems, clutch fluid is for hydraulic clutch systems.

Clutch fluid has lubricants, which brake fluid doesn't.

Braking system transfers pressure, clutch system creates movement (throwout bearing).

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                      Brake fluid is for braking systems, clutch fluid is for hydraulic clutch systems.

Clutch fluid has lubricants, which brake fluid doesn't.

Braking system transfers pressure, clutch system creates movement (throwout bearing).

I did take a peek at what I think is the clutch fluid. (next to brake fluid fill but with rubber thingy under the cap) Seemed to not be too low. I'm curious if this was the right one as it specified DOT3 fluid on the cap.

I know the braking system transfers pressure, but that pressure results in movement (at the calipers). How is the throwout bearing different?

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                        I did take a peek at what I think is the clutch fluid. (next to brake fluid fill but with rubber thingy under the cap) Seemed to not be too low. I'm curious if this was the right one as it specified DOT3 fluid on the cap.

I know the braking system transfers pressure, but that pressure results in movement (at the calipers). How is the throwout bearing different?

No - calipers barely move - pads run against the rotor - it is pressure transfer.

Throwout has to move the clutch fingers.

Unfortunately - yes - that's it. But is is NOT what the owners manual says.

Attached Files

Raven

Comment

Can you regain pressure if you pull the peddle up with your foot? Dark or clear fluid? Does it seem to get worse if you hold the peddle down? Does it get worse if you just rev up the engine (sitting still on a fresh warmup)? Any other consistant changes?

There are certain characteristics, if your car shows them, Im sure we can help you nail it down.
                          sigpic
                          98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

I don't think I have a problem with pressure, its just that when engaging the clutch it catches when the pedal is almost fully released. The fluid in the resivour looked similar to brake fluid - clear with a yellowish tint. I haven't replaced the clutch in the 8 years I've owned the car and have no idea about its history so I'm looking around for clutch replacement parts.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                              I don't think I have a problem with pressure, its just that when engaging the clutch it catches when the pedal is almost fully released. The fluid in the resivour looked similar to brake fluid - clear with a yellowish tint. I haven't replaced the clutch in the 8 years I've owned the car and have no idea about its history so I'm looking around for clutch replacement parts.
                              Sorry about that, I must have missread. From this post I would think worn PP or fly.
                              sigpic
                              98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X