5 Spd Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Spd Swap

Started it today. Got the transmission out, center console apart. Tomorrow I hope to get the torque converter and flywheel off and pedals in, along with the master cylinder, cut my hole for the shifter, and maybe tackle the wiring, so Thursday I can slide the transmission in go for broke!
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Re: 5 Spd Swap

why? just curious

Comment

I wanted a 5spd to being with, and the automatic gave out. I was quoted $1800 for a rebuild, and found the entire swap for like $550 shipped, dude hooked me up something fierce.
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Sounds good , good luck on the swap.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks Steve. I am having an issue with the clutch master cylinder lining up properly. It is flush against the firewall, but doesn't seem to allow the clutch pedal to go all the way out. I have fought with it for the better part of today. All I accomplished was bolting the flywheel/clutch on, installing the pedals, and have been stuck on the master cylinder for way too long.
          Team NoVa

Comment

I am having an issue with the top of the bellhousing hitting the center console area on the car. The input shaft to the transmission is about 1/4 inch from fitting into the hole. Can't seem to make it fit.
            Team NoVa

Comment

WELL, no thanks to this dead town of a website, I got transmission in. I need to do the wiring, but I am kind of at a loss for some stuff...No one will even read this...
              Last edited by flamingchicken; 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM.
              Team NoVa

Comment

Just started it up. Dunno if I didn't bleed the clutch well enough, but it won't fully disengage the clutch. I still was able to start it in first and take a lap around the yard. It's spunky with the 3.42's and new bushings I installed, very firmly planted the back tires.
                Team NoVa

Comment

ive been watching the thread. keep me posted on your progress. i wish i could lend some tips but i cant seem to get anything right on my car lol.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                    Just started it up. Dunno if I didn't bleed the clutch well enough, but it won't fully disengage the clutch. I still was able to start it in first and take a lap around the yard. It's spunky with the 3.42's and new bushings I installed, very firmly planted the back tires.

its extremely hard to bleed the clutches in our cars without a mityvac.. yes it is doable, but it takes hours of bleeding

Comment

when i did my 5 spd swap i just ended up changing the rod on the slave cylinder...

Comment

Originally posted by darkflare999 View Post
                        when i did my 5 spd swap i just ended up changing the rod on the slave cylinder...
                        How do you change just the rod? and did that allow your pedal to go all the way out? That may be the issue, It seems like the clutch pedal doesnt have very much travel.

Edit-It looks as though my unit does not have the adjustable rod.
                        Last edited by flamingchicken; 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM.
                        Team NoVa

Comment

Used the Mityvac to bleed it off, and damn thing worked. Car feels a hell of a lot spunkier. BUT, I am pretty sure the master cylinder is no good, cause it promply did the same thing and left me with no clutch. I know the slave is good, cause it's brand new. So now I am waiting on the new master to come in. Once I get that done I should be good to go.
                          Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                            Used the Mityvac to bleed it off, and damn thing worked. Car feels a hell of a lot spunkier. BUT, I am pretty sure the master cylinder is no good, cause it promply did the same thing and left me with no clutch. I know the slave is good, cause it's brand new. So now I am waiting on the new master to come in. Once I get that done I should be good to go.
                            For some reason these cars are a b!tch to bleed, at least in my experience.

Me and a buddy spent like 2 hours+ bleeding my car after a new master... and we at first used a vacuum bleeder deal which works awesome usually, then went back to the old fashioned way!

Comment

Originally posted by Meemperor View Post
                              For some reason these cars are a b!tch to bleed, at least in my experience.

Me and a buddy spent like 2 hours+ bleeding my car after a new master... and we at first used a vacuum bleeder deal which works awesome usually, then went back to the old fashioned way!
                              My dad and I did the same thing. I used the Mityvac and got it started, disconnected the master from the slave and bled the master alone, then plugged it back in and rebled it the old way about 5 times and got pedal. I ended up having to buy a new master cylinder, and now we are golden.

I do have another question if anyone is reading this. I have the PCM out of a 99 firebird 5spd, can I plug and play to correct the speedometer, and take care of the service vehicle light that comes on?
                              Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X