4l60e and other driveline questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4l60e and other driveline questions

Cars going down for the winter as of Tommorrow, the other day I got a pretty loud metal on metal grinding coming from somewhere in the drivetrain, and we are thinking its the tail end of the tranny.

One thing we noticed and can't explain when it was on the hoist, was the driveshaft was scored all the way around multiple times, probably about 1.5" past where it goes through the DS safety loop. There is absolutly nothing remotly even close to hitting the shaft in that area. We turned the car on, rand it, and loaded the suspension, and still can't see anything that would cause this.

The tailshaft seems to be making some kind of crunching noise it sounds like (through a screwdriver we listened)

we plan on dropping the pan tommorrow.

I guess my main questions are are

1) what other 4l60e's will bolt up to our car? (I know the v8's won't even if you change the bellhousing due to input shaft sizing) but what about other vehicles? which would be a direct swap? as I am trying to find some lower mileage ones.

2) does the 4l65e bolt up to us without issue? what needs to be addressed with that? and what car can I find these in?

3) wtf could possibly act like a lathe and start chewing into my D/S? This was never there when we swapped the rear end in...so it is something fairly new. NOTHING is within the range of this area.... The only thing we thought was the top of the DS loop, but I am sure the shaft would come through the top of the floor before it could go up that high...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: 4l60e and other driveline questions

Pretty sure the 4L60e is the only one to bolt up unless you go with a G-force 5speed.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ok, and Im guessing in that case we can only take from the 3.8s? or do any of the s10/4.3l trannies bolt up to us as well?

I've found a few 70k trannies from v6 f-bodies for 250$ or so...but if I can get lower K, I'd be happier...

Comment

Chances are your trans mount is broken and your drive shaft is hitting the loop. 4.3's have a standard Chevy bolt pattern.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          Chances are your trans mount is broken and your drive shaft is hitting the loop. 4.3's have a standard Chevy bolt pattern.
          How can I check that? It's a newer poly trans mount. We tried jacking up on the trans at the pan, but there was no movement.

so would that mean the 4.3 would be a direct bolt in tranny then? or is the input shaft a different size?

Comment

The 4.3 trans doesn't fit at all. If your mount is new is it possible you just didn't see the mark on the drive shaft when you changed it.
            sigpic

Comment

well, its multiple marks, that werent there when I did the rear end...only other possible cause I guess could be when the guy redid the rear end gears, maybe it got marked up when he was putting it back in...but its multiple marks which go full circle around the shaft.

Im still wondering if it is the source of the grinding...the grinding noise is weird, it is present under very light throttle, and if you brake at about 15-20mph or so...it literally sounds like metal on metal rotating on each other.

I think the shop is pulling the pan today and taking a closer inspection.

and thanks for the info

Im assuming all the 3.8 4l60e from f-bodies are the same...so I can nab one from a 2002 as well? (I'm 99.9% sure)

Comment

Yes a 02' will work , thats what I'm running in my 96'.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  Yes a 02' will work , thats what I'm running in my 96'.
                  98 and newer had a two piece housing. It still bolts in but your support bars will no longer work.
                  sigpic

Comment

Mine was a M5 so I had to cut the support bars off to get the A4 in but it worked out very well.

Comment

what are the support bars? the two pieces that come from the motor mounts and bolt to the bellhousing area? If so, Im already not using those...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                        what are the support bars? the two pieces that come from the motor mounts and bolt to the bellhousing area? If so, Im already not using those...
                        Yes their the support bars , I just cut them off when the A4 went in.

Comment

what the heck are they for anyways? how much support are they really going to give?

Comment

LETZRIDE, I'm thinking you may have at some point picked up a piece of cable or a length of chain (or something else metal / flexible in nature) and it got wrapped around your drive shaft for a few seconds before flying back out?

Just a thought, I agree the driveshaft is very far from anything that could make the marks youre describing in that area, so time to think outside the box.

Comment

^it's possible...thats what Ive started to think...

update:

so mechanic and tranny guy looked at it last night...they are shying away from thinking it is the trans. Im going to go tommorrow and pick up the driveshaft and have it rebalanced. They said there is also part of the exhaust that is touching the body, and part of the Ypipe may be putting extra tension on the tranny mount area. So they are going to move that around...also my Ypipe bolts have come loose for the 10000000 time.

I dont think it has anything to do with the exhaust...maybe an unbalanced driveshaft possible? but why all of a sudden? I may have them take the safety loop out of the equation, as maybe since putting the 8.8 ford rear in, the pinion angle has shifted the shaft a tad and put it closer to the loop?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X