What options do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What options do I have?

My differential sucks there's nothing else I can say.

I hate the drum brakes, I hate the gears it has and I hate the fact I had to pay $250 deductible when I broke my original diff that the car came with in 2008..:cry: If I went Turbo or Supercharger tomorrow the damn thing wouldn't hold up if I wanted to race it.

I want to know is it possible to get an inexpensive rear diff with rear disk brakes from the junkyard. Any recomendations? 4th gens are difficult to find here Z28's and T/A's are very rare in my local salvage yards.

Re: What options do I have?

Look on CL. I have it update to my phone and every few weeks there's one that's camaro and firebird rear ends. Anything newer than 82 will fit if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

that or Ebay thats where i found mine. cost me $350 after shipping

Comment

I'd check car-part.com I also had luck finding local salvage yards to call from localpages.com
        96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          Look on CL. I have it update to my phone and every few weeks there's one that's camaro and firebird rear ends. Anything newer than 82 will fit if I'm not mistaken.

I hope thats the case. There many 3rd gens out here for some reason and it would be easy to get one.

Comment

You'd have to find one with disks. I know the axles are all 28 splines.

Comment

So I can hit up pull and pay and go grab me a diff with rear disks and it will bolt right onto my 96 even if its off like a third gen? If so it will be easier than I thought. :naughty:

Comment

I believe 3rd gen has shorter axles which means you would have to use spacers with your wheels. Not sure if any other stuff doesn't match up. Ultimately you want a 93-97 rear end. 82 up driveshafts are all interchangeable though. The parking brake setup is different 98+ compared to the 93-97.
                96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Yeah I think Ill just find one through the junkyard when they come.

I was gonna buy one through A1 parts for $75 dollars solid but shipping was gonna run me $150!:eek:

Thats just retarded! I hate buying parts online because they always rape you on shipping costs. Buying a 3rd gen rear diff sounds like an inexpensive way to go but if I have to buy wheel spacers ill just wait and buy a 93-97 Z28 or T/A one and put it in there along with an LS1 driveshaft.

Comment

Yeah, freight shipping seems to start at around $150 for rear ends from my searches. Was that $75 for a whole rear end? If so even with the shipping that's not too bad. If it is just shipping on the limited slip carrier then yeah that seems high.

Comment

Wait... if all you need is the internals, I've got a spare set

Comment

Drum Brakes=Dumb Brakes!!!!

I'm having problems with leaking wheel cylinders and crap isn't working right and it pisses me off its happening again. 3 years ago I had the same problem then a few months later I shattered the POS cuz I kept dragging with a PT loser. The dealer gets me a replacement and here we go again!

I'm gonna swap the POS for rear disk brakes. I will never own another car with drums again! :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                          Yeah, freight shipping seems to start at around $150 for rear ends from my searches. Was that $75 for a whole rear end? If so even with the shipping that's not too bad. If it is just shipping on the limited slip carrier then yeah that seems high.

Ill wait till Pull and Pay brings one then ill go down there and get it myself. $10 gas+ my own labor vs $150 to have it shipped to my door. Id rather pay the $100 and do it myself. that way i can also see if the part is worth saving or not.

Comment

I found a prospect on craigslist off a 97 Camaro Z28. Will this rear end bolt right up to my 96 without any complications?

What will I need off the donor car exactly? How difficult are we talking? I know replacing a rear axle isn't a huge job like pulling out a motor but I do know it shouldn't be taken lightly either.

Comment

97 should work fine in a 96 as long as it has the same ABS setup as your car does.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X