I think my differential just threw a fit - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think my differential just threw a fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think my differential just threw a fit

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
    I believe its like a 14mm or something like that, sure alot of rust under there. Good luck.
    Yeah there is a bunch of rust. Thats what a 15 year old car gets for spending the latter half of it's life in the northeast. Now that I've gotten a look at it there is less rust than what I was picturing. Still there is enough to try to break away and paint and make it look decent again. Even if I don't stop it all at least it is being slowed.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

So today I spent most of the day sanding, cleaning and painting. I did poop out as my wire wheel for the angle grinder was toast and didn't feel like picking up another one. I could have gone further towards the front of the car but its a little scary being on your back using even just a wire wheel when there are only inches between you and the underbody. Also this project was about the rear end - not a complete restoration though my car could use it. I did manage to get most of the areas directly accessible where the axle would normally sit and got the tunnel painted up to about the attachment point for the e-brake cables. I wanted to start taking off heat shields and disconnecting the holders for fuel and brake lines but I knew I would never finish if I started taking too many things off.

I got the lca's off, sanded a bit and painted. Sanded and applied rust remover to the springs and painted those. Painted the panhard bar and swaybar which were given rust treatment yesterday. I was hoping to put everything back together today but the paint is taking its time and I haven't gotten the fill plug out of the new differential; its currently soaking in penetrating oil. I did pop the cover off - looks like a torsen unit and nothing majorly bad looking inside though the fluid remains were darker than I was hoping (the salvage yard I got it from had drained the fluid to make sure it looked good but they also seemed to have cleaned off the magnet which makes me a little suspicious).

All in all a productive day - perhaps I'll have some energy tonight if the paint dries enough and start putting stuff back together. Also need to get that fluid in. If anyone has any tips for lining up the torque arm that would be helpful but the rest seems to be just tightening bolts and remembering where things went for the most part.
      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Here are some pics of the results. It could have probably used another coat but its more than it had and much better than if i had just swapped the rear axle out.

Comment

I got everything back together except the wheels are still off. Went so much quicker than taking it apart. I started it and put it in gear and no more grinding! Downside is the pinion seal appears to be leaking so I will have to replace that shortly. I still need to bleed the brakes which is something I've never done. I understand the concept but am not sure of the proper bleed points. Do I just remove the lines from the calipers or are there specific bleed points on the calipers themselves? Also anyone know where is the ABS module is? From what I'm reading there are bleeders on that as well.

Comment

Haynes to the rescue (finally pulled it out) and found all the bleed points. Now to stock up on fluid.

Comment

Well bleeding is a lovely process to learn. Not hard just a pain. I found out the forward abs bleeder was sucking in air on the release stroke so in the end I was loosening and tightening with each peddle pump and got the bubbles down to a minimum. Might need to be done some more but i feel good having flushed all the old fluid out (it was obvious when the fluid turned practically clear from the amber brown that came out at first).

I took it on a short 2 mile test drive to check the brakes and pickup some celebratory brew as the car has been off the road for over 3 weeks. Seemed to drive ok, the shudder as you start from a stop is gone. I still am getting some excessive noise from the rear on bumps - not sure if its the new endlink bushings being firmer, the shock bushings being firmer or if the springs just are worn and need replacing. The passenger rear rotor is rubbing I think as it was HOT 5 minutes after getting back where the driver side was only mildly warm.

As much fluid as had seemed to leak out perhaps my diffy was overfilled as it only took about 1/4 bottle to bring it back up to where it was oozing out of the fill hole again. Also during leakage the rear was on the ground with the yoke pointed down or in the car with the rear end up. I did pick up a new pinion seal if it continues to leak depending on the weather I'll either pick up a socket for the pinion nut and give it a shot or drive it somewhere (which I can now do again!!!)

Comment

So the slight brake rubbing aside I have to say there has been a huge improvement to the rear end handling. The rear is no longer jumpy over slight bumps, and it even picks up and goes under acceleration during bumpy conditions. I drove to and from my friends house tonight which included highway and city driving including a portion over a cobble stone city street and couldn't believe how much better it rode. I obviously still need to figure out the brake rubbing. Maybe e-brake over adjusted itself or the caliper is stuck or something is on crooked but there is a definite rubbing from that brake. I'll take a look during thanksgiving or this weekend (mid 50's this late in november? I'll take it)
                Last edited by MegaHertz; 11-22-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X