Crosshaft/pinion shaft removal problem! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crosshaft/pinion shaft removal problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosshaft/pinion shaft removal problem!

I tore everything down REMOVED THE LOCK BOLT CAME OUT COMPLETE! The cross shaft moved back and forth at least 7 times but got stuck on spider gears. So I tapped it at first in the center with a punch and hammer back and forth. No luck so went to put it back together on the lock bolt would go back in because it turned. Ok I figured i would get a replacement but need to order and don't know how many spline's on axle shaft for spider gear kit. Tried using a bigger hammer and now have both spider gears stuck on the shaft and no open diff or way to get lock bolt in.:cry: Also is it possible to bend carrier housing apart from trying to pound it apart? Any help greatly appreciated. This is why I don't drink and drive anymore got stuck last December and being drunk tire hit 113mph before i relized it was spinning, burnout leaving work Fri chipped spider gear. Car has 243,000 miles on stock auto trans and diff and place I bought it from said engine had 150,000 at 220,000 mi.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM. Reason: Wrong title

Re: Crosshaft/pinion shaft removal problem!

It pinion/cross/spider or whatever shaft is not hitting the pinion gear or case btw. It should be done every video and forum I searched on google made it look easy and all I was going to do in there today was change wheel bearings seals and cover then fill it with 80-90. I have replaced everything else on the car and did a compression test that came back 165-175 psi on all six cylinders.

Comment

did you try spinning it and hitting it from the other side? Irrc it only comes out one way...I can't see how it should be stuck on the spider gears at all?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Tapped back and forth then beat the piss out of it toward side lock bolt came out of. Got a bigger hammer but then the spiders locked to shaft and turned it. Also got diff cracked loose but it locks up a certain spot now that i can force it through with trans in park and prybar on hub and lugs. Even tried airchisle with punch and heating shaft. I can see a ridge on the shaft that carries the spider gears. Assuming thats the problem. Going to throw it back together. Question now will IID maintnance guy be able to drive it in his shop without pin falling out? Maybe 50-100 yards top parents have towing company so it won't be on the road?

Comment

The pin or whatever that is hold axle shafts in place seems to have gotten shorter or is Carrier screwed? F**********************************************!!! !:omg:

Comment

well it moves no lockbolt on spider carrier or diff cover or oil. Hope the guy will understand and maybe ill get lucky and it will slide out and not jam on pinion or housing. I know anyother differential would but im not driving it on the road.

Comment

.....your rear isnt going to turn with the tranny in park...put it in neutral and take the parking brake off...then rotate the carrier around and tap it out the other side...don't use an air chisel....man I would hate to see what that thing looks like right now...

Comment

Put it in park to crack spiders loose. I punched one way with center punch air hammer set up then rotated driveshaft 180 and tapped and with punch until it moved alittle repeated over and over for 4 hours the resorted to bigger hammer and the last thing wich I went back and forth with was the air hammer for two hours. Also tried heating spiders with propane torch to expand them abit. I put it in park because spiders wedged on shaft and had to break it loose. I know it was bad before but without carrier cross shaft lock bolt being installed it is undrivable on road. Drove it out of garage though.The shaft turned in carrier and thats why lock bolt can't be reinserted. And it won't turn now. Lock bolt was gouged and slightly bent so I know the spiders got nearly welded onto the shaft last year.

Comment

I'm having trouble understanding what is going on. Something about screwin your rear end up cause you were drunk and a lot of tapping on things. Sounds like you were drunk when you were working on it and typing this out too.

Get a used rear housing with all the gears and stuff. Shouldn't cost much and it'll save you time and frustration.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I don't understand what's going on either....I can't see how the spider gears would fuse to the cross pin at all...that cross-pin is just there so that the C-clips can't fall out of the axle slots and you result in losing your axle. Maybe grab a picture or something. That pin only comes out one way...if I remember correctly I believe it is slightly tapered on one end.

AND...if it's sliding it certainly isn't fused...there is no room for stuff to move in that carrier.

Comment

take some pics and post em up
                      auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
                      15.11@91.14
                      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

put it back together quite drinking since Dui in July. Spider wore ridge in shaft and now it won't slide out. Work at salvage yard now getting diff out of 99 for $300. Ended up welding bolt to shaft so I could turn it and get lock bolt back in.

Comment

was up too late that night! spiders are loose on the shaft ridge built up on thrust washers and were spiders ride. Nick at Niks auto seen it on a few diffs before so he told me to weld bolt on turn it to slide lock pin/ cross shaft back in tighten it up grind down smooth and buy new rear end. Get it now? probably not when it happens to someone else they'll know what's up!!

Comment

It from excessive one tire frying. I hope for 300 your getting a 3.42 limited slip.
                            sigpic

Comment

3.42 stamped on ring gear don't believe it's limited but got spare calipers rotors and yeah I got F*****! also got it out today and found two copper looking washers on grond. I think they came from top of torque arm or do they go between torque arm and diff?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X