Whats the best clutch for the buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best clutch for the buck?

hello everyone I am brand new to this site, and this is my first post.
    I have a 1998 Camaro v6 5 speed that's needing my TLC more than i'm willing to give it. I recently purchased the car about 3 weeks ago and have been fixing just about every little thing the typical Douche that doesn't know diddly squat about routine maintenance and up keep. (Thermostat, proper coolant, radiator flush, new oil.ECT...)

any ways after getting off work the other day and just getting on the free way the clutch decided to go out on me... so i had the car towed to a local shop and the guy is willing to let me provide the parts and do the labor my self and just pay a storage fee, pretty sweet considering he first quoted me $960.00 for parts and labor.. Having been working on cars since i was 10 i was shocked and awe wed needless to say. But after explaining to him i had just moved to CA from AZ and just recently started a new job being a photovoltaic installer (SOLAR) and need the car for my transportation to and from work asap he seemed more than willing to work with me...

Im writeing to all of you because i need advice and wisdom. whats the cheapest performance clutch for my ride... ive been eyeballing a few clutches , stage 2 from xtr at ( http://www.f1clutch.com/product.html...irebird-3-8-v6 [/url]) witch come out to be around $170 with shipping witch is amazing considering the capabilites they claim this clutch is cabable of... how ever the shop quoted me parts at 260??? so im tying to deferacient weather perhaps hes pulling a fast on me or if this clutch ive found it total MADE IN CHINA trash! can some one help me out??? I.;; post up some pics and list all the mods to my ride to fill you all in... Once again thank you for taking the time to read all this... Cheers :spank:

( idk much about the parts on here because keep in mind i bought the car in its current condition im just trying to make it work the way it should HENSE my clutch issue)

it has ram air under stock air box slp cut out/ throttle body spacer. MSD ignition, Hurst short throw, lowered full rear end gymkahana style race suspension looks like 4 link. read axel track bars. red anodized shock absorbers all around. shock tower mount strut bar. Black ZO6 wheels 18" 12 wide front 14" wide rear single pipe exhaust 3 times cat's and fatty muffler (STUPID SMOGG IN CA) its stealth cant hardly hear it at idle i hate it cant wait to get headers and full exhaust... :banana: im sure im forgetting other stuff...
    Last edited by DeSeRtStOrM1019; 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM.

Re: Whats the best clutch for the buck?

Comment

heres a ****ty walk around video if any one cares to see the full car in 360 view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShjJCY5_nA

Comment

if there are no major power adders(nitrous, sc or turbo) stick with an oem.

other wise i have a center force dual friction that i love. and has never failed me
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

got a local shop working on the clutch right now fly wheels gonna need to be re surfaced as the old clutch was worn down to a rivit on one side and not on the other meaning it was worn on an angel... also i need a new carrier bearing and some BS driveline shop quoted me 290 to put a new carrier bearing on... that cant be any where near an honest price can someone help me out send me an auto parts store url with a carrier bearing price.... for $290 i otta just get a 1 peice driveline made... ****....
          :mad:

Comment

Carrier bearings are cheap (under 10 bucks), its probably the labor that is costing you so much.
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

where can i get a center mount rear louver molding.. perferably made of carbonfiber seeing as to im already getting an ss carbon fiber hood and wing... also was looking in to true dual exhaust with cut outs... possibly??? anyone have any susjestions on headers... high flow cats? and or a full system that comes with everything... aiming at 1000 for full exhaust. so i kinda dont wanna go over that???

Comment

so heres the clutch that was in there ha.. can you say fryeddd...
                Sure ive seen worse... thankful i didnt pull a spring out... but still damm...

Comment

Look at 6LE for CME. Doubt they have one in CF though.
                  Not >$1k on exhaust? And you bought CF parts? Gotta pay to play. I went with CIA, lots of people here have no problem with Pacesetter. And if you're looking for CME, then you're gonna have to fab up the exhaust yourself, or at a shop.

Comment

got the clutch situation taken care of... shifts pretty good... still taking it pretty eash breaking in new clutch only has about 50miles on it... speed shifting doenst go to smoothly just yet... boy you guys should have driven it b4 the new clutch its almost effort less the amount of distance i have to press in the clutch compared to nearly to the floor just to get it out of first b4 the new clutch... woot woot.. any ways im on a mission for a CF hood heres what i've got so far who can help...

ss 98

my car

ss hood i found at http://www.ultimatemotorx.net/viscafiho19c4.html

does anyone know how these aftermarket hoods mount up to the stock hood mounts? and i know im going to need hood pins. what im talking about is are there typicaly tap mounts for the gas shocks to mount up to?
                    Last edited by DeSeRtStOrM1019; 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Yes im aware i would have to Fab up exhaust that not a problem I've been a welder for the past 6 years and been wrenching since i was 7 im 23 now so i.ll figure it out i just really was hoping to find eithor a fiberclass or a CARBON FIBER rear CENTER MOUNT EXHAUST VALENCE... and can any one susjest the best sounding exhaust system to go with... Thus far im was thinking pacesetter headers. to true duals with high flo cats and Borla xr1 mufflers with eithor a crossover or and x pipe and dump like i said in the SS style center mount and or if anyone has any leads on a SIDE EXIT style exhaust system im talking out the body not under the car... like rally cars have out the fenders just befor the door???? thank you all for taking the time to read this thread and thank you for your help>>>

also IM LOOKING IN TO GETTING THIS BAD BOY BUT IM NOT SURE HOW IT WILL MOUNT TO A V6 HATCH... BECAUSE DONT THE TWO TOWERS GOING VERTICLE UNDER THE WING REQUIRE EITHOR GLUE OR BOLTING IN?

oNE LAST THING CAN ANY ONE SUSJEST some desent rear led style tail lights or should i just go with these?
                      http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product...hts_Black.html
                      Last edited by DeSeRtStOrM1019; 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

If it's a high quality hood, stock mounting points should be fine. That's what I'm running with a fiberglass hood. V6 doesn't go fast enough for hood pins. :-p

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                          If it's a high quality hood, stock mounting points should be fine. That's what I'm running with a fiberglass hood. V6 doesn't go fast enough for hood pins. :-p
                          i was just woundering if i would have to drill any mounting ports or anything like that... and hood pins... im talking about styling like the flush locking hoodpin trap door series! because im pro charging a 5.3 vortec and swaping that in with a 6 speed as soon as i get a beefier k member, stronger rear end and down the road i plan to do side skirts and rear valaence like i said above... and a t top converstition i understand that to be simple enough... just looking for a t top kit cant find one. looks like im gonna have to junk yard it at a pull a part... but thanks about the hood info! BUmp

Comment

thought ide add a little up date as to what ive done and how far along the ss cloning phase :)..

Comment

lol nice but post in the member rides section so u get some post!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X