Did the clutch on the 2000, few notes... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the clutch on the 2000, few notes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the clutch on the 2000, few notes...

Finished with the clutch on the 2k.

Few notes...

I put in
    GM slave
    Brute Flywheel
    Exedy Clutch
    Timkin pilot brass bearing

1st, **** Rock Auto... paid extra for 3 day shipping still took 6 days, they said they would ship parts next day they didn't. So turned into a weekend project, to a work all day, take a 2-3 hour nap(couldn't work on car during daylight, 117* heat index was too much to be in the garage), work on car a few hours, then go to bed at like 1-2am and wake up at 5am for work, for 3 days.

-Brute flywheel, just a cheap flywheel, and wow is it cheap, the bolt holes didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.
    -Timkin brass bearing, was fine, kind of hard to mess one of those up, I chucked it in the freezer before install and it went in like butter.
    -GM slave.... I got an updated GM slave, which is funny on my last Camaro I had an upgraded GM slave and it was different then this one...

Either way...
    GM upgrade

EXEDY clutch...

Heared it was made by the same people that made the OEM... The clutch disc looked a little different but very similar, there was a stamp on it that was identical on both. Overall seemed decent quality.

I did get a kick out of the handling instructions.

My throwout bearing had been whirring as long as I have had the car and clutch had been sliping for easily 5 months, was so bad, car would not go past 85 mph, just start slipping.

Tranny was a ***** to pull out, swapped everything, factory pilot bushing, I got out with 3 whacks of a slide hammer, I still don't know why people deal witht he grease method and such. Drop the $10 on a harbour freight slide hammer, worth the money.

I had a ***** of a time getting my tranny back in, everything was lined up but I think it was a tight fit on the splines of the disc, and the input shaft, that had some corrosion on it.

Got it in, bled it, car drives fine, all is good, clutch is light and fluffy, but has full engagement, and tranny shifts great, problaby the first fluid change in 113k miles.

Only headaches I had, was an exhaust bolt broke, I had to eventually grind it down and drill a through hole and do a nut/bolt set up. Tight quarter to have a grinder, brake likes, fuel likes, clutch line, but I got it all out.

Put some stainless bolts in and replaced all the exhaust bolts.

Just some tips random reviews on some of the budget stuff I used.

I think I spent ~$400 total

$90 for slave
    $160 for clutch
    $60 for flywheel
    $5 for bushing
    $20 for fluid
    $15 for hardware/loctite
    and I found a 10 or 15% off coupon code online.

Then like $50-60 shipping(I did 3 day, hoping to get it for a weekend, since I had family visiting and an extra vehicle around.)
    Last edited by DAS BOOT; 07-17-2011, 11:50 AM.

Re: Did the clutch on the 2000, few notes...

I just wanted to add about the exedy clutch...

I have a good amount of miles on it., but hard shifts, it slips slightly, this clutch is nothing special, its a stock replacement, ANY sort of performance I would avoid unless you don't mind a little slippage on some powershifting.

My ***-O-METER says my car is a low 15 maybe hight 14 second car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X