Some questions for my t5 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions for my t5 swap

Hey everyone..i have a '94 3.4 camaro with a 4l60e..and im finally getting around to having all the parts i would need for a t5 swap..i do have a ton of questions even after i read meatyshells sticky..ok here we go...

1. what is better/cheaper getting a pcm reflash or just swapping in a junk one?

2. I have gotten a clutch kit from the previous owner but thinking i should buy a new one since his looked all rusted like it sat in the rain...im not sure if i should just buy another stock clutch or go with something crazy? i used to see stock clutches go for $100 shipped on ebay but not anymore..anyone know a website?

3. Also included was a t/o bearing and pilot bearing..again not sure if i should buy a new one?...just dont want any problems later

4. Whats the estimated life on a slave cylinder?? the one i got looks ok but thinking to get a new one...

5. Some places i read the auto torque arm mount can still work with the manual transmission...is this true?

6. The poly type transmission mount can work both on auto and manuals?

7. i know some of these say 96-02 but can it still work for me? and are these the right part#'s?? sorry i just dont understand the gmpartsdirect site...
    reverse lights switch leads gm# 12085485 (94-02)
    clutch safety switch gm# 14094368 (96-02) /w pigtail leads gm#12102690 (96-02)

and i think thats about it for now..thanks to anyone willing to help me!!

Re: Some questions for my t5 swap

For starters you can't flash a 94 PCM. Go with as many new parts as you can afford.
    sigpic

Comment

Like big brian said get as many new parts as possible. You don't want to get it all together then have to rip it all out again because the slave cylinder failed. Not saying that's gonna happen, but it would give a little piece of mind having all new parts. If you get a new slave, it comes with a t.o. bearing. And get a piolet bushing, not a bearing, I had one when I had my spec stage 2 clutch and it was all cracked and falling apart 6 months after I put it in.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

ok well thanks soo far question 1-4 is pretty much answered...with the clutch and stuff should i go with oem?? is there any specific brand i should buy and whats the best site i could find one? thanks again!

Comment

Yeah, just get a stock clutch.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Your 3.4 more than likely won't be throwing anything at a stock clutch that it wouldn't be able to hold, so a stock clutch should do fine.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
              Your 3.4 more than likely won't be throwing anything at a stock clutch that it wouldn't be able to hold, so a stock clutch should do fine.
              yeaaa thats true...i was just thinking about the future on where and what im going to do with the motor....thinking about building it or boosting it if i can understand on how to make the manifolds...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by darkflare999 View Post
                yeaaa thats true...i was just thinking about the future on where and what im going to do with the motor....thinking about building it or boosting it if i can understand on how to make the manifolds...thanks
                Anytime. Here is how I feel: if you are going to try to build it, chances are it will be a while before you make enough power to break something, and even then the transmission will go first. Just buy an OEM clutch and call it a day.
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Anytime. Here is how I feel: if you are going to try to build it, chances are it will be a while before you make enough power to break something, and even then the transmission will go first. Just buy an OEM clutch and call it a day.
                  hey...if i post up links of what clutches and parts im looking at you can tell me if its a good buy or not....just wouldnt like to buy anything cheap that would fail couple of months down the road ya know..

Comment

ok soo what do you guys think about these parts im looking at? there cheap but are they good reliable brands? slave cylinder clutch kit ...also im wondering for the pcm exchange to a manual would there be a specific pcm i would need..like a model # or part #? cause i have my eyes on a manual '95 firebird pcm right now..soo i was just wondering before i buy it..

also if anyone can help me out with the other questions that would be awesome...cause i cant wait to buy all the little things im gonna need to get this started..im just too excited to finally have my own 5 speed!!:excited:

Comment

The slave cylinder, I have used LuK clutches before in volkswagens with no problems, that seems like a good buy.

The pressure plate in the clutch kit looks like a sachs clutch, for super cheap. If it is then thats a good deal.

As for the PCM, I really dont know if that would work or not, cause I think either 95 or 96 is when they switched from OBD1 to OBD2, someone else could probably give you more info on that.

Edit-the clutch in the ebay ad looks exactly like this sachs clutch pictured here- http://www.streetperformance.com/par...-k7008401.html
                      and it looks like the PCM would work
                      Last edited by flamingchicken; 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM.
                      Team NoVa

Comment

The slave cylinder, I have used LuK clutches before in volkswagens with no problems, that seems like a good buy.

The pressure plate in the clutch kit looks like a sachs clutch, for super cheap. If it is then thats a good deal.

As for the PCM, I really dont know if that would work or not, cause I think either 95 or 96 is when they switched from OBD1 to OBD2, someone else could probably give you more info on that.

Edit-the clutch in the ebay ad looks exactly like this sachs clutch pictured here- http://www.streetperformance.com/par...-k7008401.html
                        and it looks like the PCM would work
                        wow man thanks alot!! you seriously been a huge help!!:rock: would i be asking too much if you could help me with questions 5-7?? :bowdown:

Comment

0o0 and btw i sent the seller a question on ebay and asked the brand of the clutch..they said its a AMS OEM....i never heard of it...but apparently i see that brand makes lots of stuff...alot of it i saw on evo's

Comment

hmmmm....anyone??

Comment

ok soo i pretty much found my answers with the other questions i had..and it turns out the guy that gave me all the parts gave me tq arm bushing and bracket and trans mount..soo now i just need to know if these pigtails and wire leads work with a 94?? clutch safety switch gm# 14094368 (96-02) /w pigtail leads gm#12102690 (96-02)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X