A4 not downshifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A4 not downshifting

After running around for awhile and the tranny gets warmed up it stops downshifting properly when coming to a stop. So when I go again, unless I completely stop and wait like 3-5 seconds it'll still be in 2nd or 3rd.. I'm not sure which. Regardless, i have no go and I'm sure it's not good for the torque converter either.

Someone had told me about a solenoid or something like that, that could be the culprit. I know it's not the tuning because I've returned it to stock and it still had the same problems. Any ideas?

TEAM C6V6

Re: A4 not downshifting

Can you pull the shifter into first and have it start in first?
    sigpic

Comment

When was the last time you changed the fluid and filter on the trans?

Comment

Hopefully its just something electronic. A trans shop can usually pull the pan and test the solenoids. I'd get ot looked at asap. I had a pickup that developed a similar problem due to a bad transducer. After fixing the problem 6 months later the trans had to be rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          That sounds scary to do but I'll try.. If I can do this, what does that mean? I'm mostly an engine guy and I haven't had any reason to learn this stuff till now. This isn't gonna hurt my starter or flywheel is it?

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
          When was the last time you changed the fluid and filter on the trans?
          I bought the car around 60k miles and it's got 80k now. I haven't changed it myself but i believe it was done around 50k.. I gotta double check the papers. I've checked the fluid level and color and it looks good but that is something I should do anyways..

TEAM C6V6

Comment

How does the fluid smell? If it smells like it is burned, you're gonna have issues.

Comment

Blizzard , do you have a shift kit on your trans, like a transgo?
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                How does the fluid smell? If it smells like it is burned, you're gonna have issues.
                As far as I can tell the fluid is good. I'll give it another check today cause it's been a few weeks.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                Blizzard , do you have a shift kit on your trans, like a transgo?
                Na, haven't modded the trans at all except with HP tuners.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Might be time for another trans.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    It won't start. Won't do anything.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    Might be time for another trans.
                    I sure hope not.. I can't afford that yet! If I have to though, I'd like to do it myself but I'm not sure if I can get the car high enough to get it out. If I could get the car on some ramps would I have enough clearance to pull it out the front? And how heavy are these? I'm curious if I'd have to get a proper jack or just get help from a friend and use a standard jack.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I don't think he means start the engine in first, I think he means go from stop with the selector in 1st, so see if you can make it work as a semi-auto. Sometimes I'll downshift manually if my transmission is being indecisive.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
                        I don't think he means start the engine in first, I think he means go from stop with the selector in 1st, so see if you can make it work as a semi-auto. Sometimes I'll downshift manually if my transmission is being indecisive.

Correct.
                        sigpic

Comment

lol... Yeah I can.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Then I would think it is just a solenoid on the valve body.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm willing to bet my haynes manual says have it serviced by a professional so I'm gonna need some help here. How do I get to this solenoid?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X