4.56 gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.56 gears

Been throwing the idea around of nabbing some 4.56's with the new rear end...I've been toying with the f-body calculator and it doesnt look like I'd be reving much more than I do now on the highway...maybe 500rpm, so around 3500rpm at my cruising speed...I don't think thats that bad.

What I do have concerns about is this though

if I shift at 6000rpm it looks like my gears will go roughly like this

1st- 54km/h (34mph)
    2nd 102km/h (64mph)
    3rd- 166km/h (104mph)
    4th- 238km/h (149mph)

If I am racing on the track and I am at WOT and go into 4th gear, I *believe* my converter locks up...is this bad for the trans? Is this something I should be worried about?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: 4.56 gears

It may just be me, but those speeds don't seem like they'd match up.

Comment

they shouldnt...your gearings in your tranny is different for each gear.

Comment

4.56's holy ****!
        auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
        15.11@91.14
        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

1. 4.56 in a 10 bolt will break as the teeth are very thin at that size
          2. You would need a taller tire to avoid going into 4th
          3. You can't command a WOT shift into 4th
          4. Not recommended streetable at all in our cars, 4.10 would be the edge of streetability
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

this would be going into a ford 8.8 rear end, not the stock 10 bolt.

I could safely take the car to about 6300 which would allow me to go to 110mph, which SHOULD be plenty for the track (I'm guessing that I will probably trap around 105-106)

So it wouldnt shift into 4th at all at WOT eh? So what happens it just holds 3rd I guess?

How about lets say you were ever doing 110mph and you floored the car...it couldn't kick down into 3rd? How/what would happen then?

I liked my 3.90 gears I have now...Ford 8.8s don't have that option...it's 3.73's, 4.10's or 4.56's.

Looking at the 3.73's I feel they are just too long, and since I'm going from 3.90's, I would be slower?

Comment

I don't believe your figures compensate for converter slippage.
              sigpic

Comment

could +/- a few mph, dont think its much more then that though...I just plugged into the calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                  this would be going into a ford 8.8 rear end, not the stock 10 bolt.

I could safely take the car to about 6300 which would allow me to go to 110mph, which SHOULD be plenty for the track (I'm guessing that I will probably trap around 105-106)

So it wouldnt shift into 4th at all at WOT eh? So what happens it just holds 3rd I guess?

How about lets say you were ever doing 110mph and you floored the car...it couldn't kick down into 3rd? How/what would happen then?

I liked my 3.90 gears I have now...Ford 8.8s don't have that option...it's 3.73's, 4.10's or 4.56's.

Looking at the 3.73's I feel they are just too long, and since I'm going from 3.90's, I would be slower?
                  Just hangs on to third, and will not command a downhshift if it still has factory type programming. You could overcome this with programming, theoretically. However, you will kill your trans with WOT in 3rd. I wouldn't go with the 3.73's since you'd be slower, 4.10 would work pretty well. Like I said, you could increase tire height to lower the gear numerically.
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                    Just hangs on to third, and will not command a downhshift if it still has factory type programming. You could overcome this with programming, theoretically. However, you will kill your trans with WOT in 3rd. I wouldn't go with the 3.73's since you'd be slower, 4.10 would work pretty well. Like I said, you could increase tire height to lower the gear numerically.
                    kill the trans going WOT in 3rd or 4th??...I thought it was 4th? I've gone WOT 3rd many times...every track run

Comment

Going from 3rd to 4th at WOT. I should have clarified.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X