Clutch/slave/flywheel/rear main.... am I doing it the best way? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch/slave/flywheel/rear main.... am I doing it the best way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/slave/flywheel/rear main.... am I doing it the best way?

So far got a quote of about $600 labor for a clutch/slave/rear main seal. IF I bring in my own parts... shop seems a little backwoods haven't decided on having them do it or not. I have another shop giving me a quote later

I might just end up doing it myself. What parts?

Oddly enough GM is possible the cheapest for a clutch....

GM pressure plate $83.99
    GM clutch disc $67.20
    GM Clutch slave $117.24

Advanced Auto parts(before the 40% discount)
    Flywheel $90
    Pilot bushing $4.19
    Also looking at a GM egr, for $150 as well.

Re: Clutch/slave/flywheel/rear main.... am I doing it the best way?

so its looking gmpartsdirect is still doing there BS shipping/handling. Looks like $100 shipping on above parts, $35 of it for the EGR. :rant:

Comment

Son and I just did that job, and if I'd had $600, I'd have paid it.
      Those parts can be had cheaper, btw... good luck.

Comment

I kind of want to stick to the GM slave... I've done flywheel/clutch/slave once, and pulled the tranny once. I have yet to do a rear main seal.

Comment

Have any of you guys had any luck with this setup?

Exedy Clutch/slave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exedy...#ht_1998wt_956

Comment

gm uses luk clutches, which are the same clutches as exedy (dk).

look on ebay for an exedy clutch/pressure plate and get a gm slave cylinder.

$600 is a ton of money for the job, there is a local guy here that will do the sme job for $325 i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT View Post
              Have any of you guys had any luck with this setup?

Exedy Clutch/slave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exedy...#ht_1998wt_956
              i bought the same setup, the slave cylinder is a piece of junk.

see if you can find one without the slave, or buy that one, and get a slave from advance auto. they are much better quality. the TO bearing went out on me after about 15,000 miles

make sure you get the flywheel milled down, and you buy new flywheel bolts from gm. they only sell them in 4's i believe, so i had to buy 2 packs, i think it was about $25 for them, but the old ones are probably weak, i had two snap on me in the crank

Comment

I was curious about the throw out bearing... seems everyone TO bearing is junk so I might just go with the OEM junk AC delco one...

I am going with a new flywheel... Looking around the going rate for a flywheel resurface is $25-75. I can get a new flywheel in that range and not worry much about too much being milled off and clutch engagement.

What size are the bolts? and how many? I might try and source some from somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT View Post
                  I was curious about the throw out bearing... seems everyone TO bearing is junk so I might just go with the OEM junk AC delco one...

I am going with a new flywheel... Looking around the going rate for a flywheel resurface is $25-75. I can get a new flywheel in that range and not worry much about too much being milled off and clutch engagement.

What size are the bolts? and how many? I might try and source some from somewhere else.
                  i used to have the size, but i dont remember.. and i believe that there is 6 of them?

i went to advance auto and got a new slave there because i couldnt afford an ac delco one, and it looked exactly like the delco unit, and nothing like the cheap exedy one

Comment

I figure $89 at rock auto for AC delco, vs the bad reviews I read about the advanced auto ones, I'll play it safe.

What have you guys been using for rear main seals? Felpro setups?

Comment

fyi

advanced auto's to bearing DOES NOT fit the 98-02 f body...at lease the couple i got didn't work.

i vote for doing the work yourself. unless your not good with cards. it's a pretty big job...easy enough to do. i did it last summer. only problem that held up the job was the to bearing was sh!t and the tranny wouldn't mount with it.
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I put a spec in my old nbm Camaro, did a new master, slave, flywheels as well. My rear main was good. Not long after I snapped the output shaft onmy transmission so I had to pull the tranny again.

I have done it, and done it myself. Just a pain in the ***, and its the only car, and I don't have as much time for ****ing around with small issues.

Comment

Keep in mind I'm a 100lb chick and I rolled that out
                          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

my advanced auto to bearing was fine, but i got the whole slave/to bearing as a unit.

i would do the work myself, i wouldnt pay anyone $600 to do it, in reality, i would have a hard time paying more than $150 to do that job, but i hate other people touching my car.

for $89, the delco unit was only a few bucks more than the one i bought.

i got a felpro rear main, but ever since i replaced my to bearing and pilot bushing, i believe my rear main has started to leak again, im not entirely sure.. it could be valve cover gaskets also.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X