Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: transmission and rear end question?

Originally posted by DAS BOOT View Post
    Saying the same is not true at all, completely different. Completely different design. All the gears are different, not too far off, but different, the overdrive is taller overdrive, but it would still work fine.

You wouldn't burn through mroe clutches, there are no more strains as long as you drive as you should with any manual car, don't lugg the engine.

The problems you will have...

1st... bellhousing to bolt up. It doesn't, you will need an adapter or a custom bellhousing
    2nd... Input shaft, you will need some sort of custom input shaft that fits, and also makes up for the custom adapter that doesn't exist.

The above can be done but will be expensive as hell, and you could probalby buy a built 5-speed for less. I haven't been up to date, but I assume used T56s are still outragously overpriced, I remember seeing T56s needing a rebuild going for $800-1000.

I looked into it years ago when I was breaking 5-speeds and racing. I just decided I didn't want to spend that money, and stopped racing the car realizing the drivetrain was my weak point for my style of driving. Then again plenty of people have gone faster then me with 1 5-speed
    o ok that does seem much easier. if the problem is just a adapter my friend works at a factory and said he could most likely make one. but im leaning more twards the 5 speed T5 now. in the end i am going to need something that can handle up to 500hp. also what model camaros come with the rear end that i need? i would like to just buy a parts car

Comment

Originally posted by orkid1989 View Post
      so whats the pros and cons of a T5 vs T56? is the T5 more durable or something? i was under the impression that the T56 was the best.
      the t56 is strong, the t5 is a ton weaker, but the t56 is used on high torque applications.

our engines dont make enough torque at low rpms to get everything moving, you are going to have to slip the clutch so bad to get it moving.. and good luck on hills.

Comment

You wouldn't burn through mroe clutches, there are no more strains as long as you drive as you should with any manual car, don't lugg the engine.

starting out in 2nd+ gear will cause a ton more wear on the clutch, and it will not last as long at all.

Comment

Just build up a 4l60e, trans go hd-2 and a corvette servo and you'll be shifting fast then a t5,, be stronger then a stocker t5, and get better gas mileage on the highway with 3.73s or 3.42s. OD on an a4 will be a lower rpms then a t5 in 5th

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
            Just build up a 4l60e, trans go hd-2 and a corvette servo and you'll be shifting fast then a t5,, be stronger then a stocker t5, and get better gas mileage on the highway with 3.73s or 3.42s. OD on an a4 will be a lower rpms then a t5 in 5th
            well i really dont care that much about gas mileage. i mostly just want the best way to get the power to the wheels. plus manual transmissions are more fun lol. i just want the transmission to be able to handle whatever i throw at it. as far as the T56 gearing cant i change the ratios in the rear to compinsate for the lack of low end torque?

Comment

Originally posted by orkid1989 View Post
              as far as the T56 gearing cant i change the ratios in the rear to compinsate for the lack of low end torque?
              To answer your question yes. I dont know if the T-56 would be worth the cost to you though. Im having one rebuilt right now and its probably going to come out to about 2K with the core and the rebuild. Your going to be spending more than that getting it to get it to hook up to your engine. Furthermore it looks like the gearing can also be changed on the T56. Check out posts# 17, 26 and 37:http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual...utright-2.html

Comment

yes I sugest a 4.10 to make full use of the first 4 gears

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                  the t56 is strong, the t5 is a ton weaker, but the t56 is used on high torque applications.

our engines dont make enough torque at low rpms to get everything moving, you are going to have to slip the clutch so bad to get it moving.. and good luck on hills.

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                  starting out in 2nd+ gear will cause a ton more wear on the clutch, and it will not last as long at all.

First off a guy willing to drop $3-5k maybe more probalby should not be worrying about clutches...

Also...

Gear ratio of 93 T56

2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .80, .62

94-97 T56
                  2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .74, .50

98-02 T56

I believe this is the grear ratio for the T5 world class in the 3.4 and 3.8L f-body.

2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 .73

It is not that far off.... It will lug down a little but its not like a 2nd gear start. Throwing something as mild as 3.42 might make up the difference. Get one out of a 93 and its nearly the same.

Comment

First off a guy willing to drop $3-5k maybe more probalby should not be worrying about clutches...

Also...

Gear ratio of 93 T56

2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .80, .62

94-97 T56

98-02 T56

I believe this is the grear ratio for the T5 world class in the 3.4 and 3.8L f-body.

2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 .73

It is not that far off.... It will lug down a little but its not like a 2nd gear start. Throwing something as mild as 3.42 might make up the difference. Get one out of a 93 and its nearly the same.

t5 gear ratios are : 3.75, 2.19, 1.41, 1.00, 0.72

like i said, its like starting out in 2nd/3rd gear all of the time.

if you have a manual, go and drive around and start in 2nd gear on hills, and 3rd gear on flat roads, and tell me how taxing it is on the clutch.

even if i was willing to throw $3-5k on parts, i would not like to be changing the clutch all of the time.

having a set amount of money to put into a car is something that was thought about, and is mostly to be spent at once, not of constant maintenance, and laboring replacing the clutch, which I estimate will last at most 40,000 miles with a t56 on the car.

Comment

google failed me on my searching...

I still don't think it will matter that much, the A4 ratios are 3.06, 1.62, 1.00, 0.70 and running on a 3.08 final drive.

The engine is able to pull the car along fine. The it might not be as peppy, but I think it will be fine.

Its all a moot point, because no one has, no one is, and no one will put a T56 on a 3.8L

Comment

BING! Correction, it has been done and he spent lots of money on it but he did do it here is the link to his Fquick.

Comment

google failed me on my searching...

I still don't think it will matter that much, the A4 ratios are 3.06, 1.62, 1.00, 0.70 and running on a 3.08 final drive.

The engine is able to pull the car along fine. The it might not be as peppy, but I think it will be fine.

Its all a moot point, because no one has, no one is, and no one will put a T56 on a 3.8L
                          there has been more than one person to put a t56 on a 3.8.. but is it logical? no way.

and you cant compare an auto with a manual, the torque converter can slip with relatively no wear, a clutch cannot

Comment

Ok. Here is where the conversatio shoud end.

T56 is stronger but will require a better clutch an adapter plate and with a proper adapter plate, USE THE LT1 input shaft for propper length, and Use a higher rear end ratio to compensate for the closes ratios. Also get a V8 manual trans crossmember, and i dont now if the VSS is the same V6 to V8.

T5 can be bought for about the same price If you buy an aftermerket need NO adapters, a manual x member from the same year V6 or a spacer

Either way you need to get parts for your interior like the shift plate and clutch system ( which is different for each engine the trans is bolted to) that should be all I think, and guys we got the point 4x ago that WITHOUT the right rear its like launching HALFWAY between 1&2 on a T5

Comment

some links

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...ons.htm#5sptrn
                              http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t757-t56...on-spreadsheet

just put a t5 in it, its a bolt up design that can be built to fit your application.
                              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

this may be a stupid question but what about a 6l80 transmission?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X