Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker or Limited Slip? And gears?

Good morning guys,
    My '01 Camaro did not come with LSD. I am planning on upgrading here really soon. I would like to get your guys' opinions on LSD diffs. What do you guys like to run? Locker or Clutch type? I guess lockers aren't really LSD, though.. It's all or nothing with them. I have also read on here that the lockers tend to blow up under high hp. But I doubt I will ever get above 250-275 hp in mine. My '99 S-10 has a locker, and I have never had any issues with it in 150k miles. My Camaro is bone stock right now, and I doubt I will do more than some headers, intake work, a mild cam, and a pcm tune.
    My current gears are 3.23:1 behind an M5. I haven't decided if I should go with a lower ratio or not. Maybe 3.42's? I like my gas milage. The car will not be for comp racing. I just want it to be faster that the average 6 banger Maro/Bird (5th gen being the exception.)
    Anyone have any input?

Re: Locker or Limited Slip? And gears?

Go with a LSD a Torsen or Auburn LSD or even a Eaton.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have a SLP Torsen with motive 3.73's i think. Works good. i would recommend it, You might not feel the 3.42's is one thing.
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

save the money and just buy a posi out of an s10 pick up. works perfect
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I have an Auburn Pro Posi I can let go for a really good price, it's brand new. It's 28 spline, but my car is 26 spline. Already had bearings on it, so auburn wouldn't let me return it :(

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
            I have a SLP Torsen with motive 3.73's i think. Works good. i would recommend it, You might not feel the 3.42's is one thing.

I agree here regarding the gears. Two steps up is probably best if you want to notice a difference. I have an auto and plan to add 4.10's.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
              save the money and just buy a posi out of an s10 pick up. works perfect
              I was tempted to swap the diffs with my '99 S-10 ZR2. Then I decided I would be pretty mad
              at myself the next time I hit the trails and got stuck on a few pebbles, just because I didn't have a locker.:rant::rant:

Comment

Resolving the locker vs limited-slip issue depends much on what kind of driving you do.

If you're road racer type, you're probably not going to like what a locker does to the feel of the car coming off turns. For that IMO the Torsen diff which was OE on Z28s and Y87 V6es is the best choice. There also is an aftermarket version of that diff which is, so I hear, is stronger than the OE units.

There's another really cool diff which is sort of an improved version of the Torsen design. It's called a "Torvec".

On the other hand if you're a drag racer or just a street driver who wants better traction but doesn't care how that onset of that traction affects handing, the locker out of the S10 axles might be the least expensive solution.

Comment

4.10s in a t5 would hurt MPGs on the highway. Thats why v6 A4s can come with 3.42s and t5s dont.

Comment

I went from a 3.23 open in my 94 bird to a 2000 auto TA's torsen and love it. I didn't change the gears but the torsen give it a much better feel IMO. I have drove cars with the locker ('90 corvette) and although the car was precise you knew when the locker engaged and I did not like it. The torsen and the clutch types will be progressive but with our low HP the torsen wont be as strong. Like said before its all in what you want your rear to do. I shot for a little more traction during the turns without the under-steer of a locker

Comment

Are there any affordable LSD options other then getting a used one from a v8 f-body?

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT View Post
                        Are there any affordable LSD options other then getting a used one from a v8 f-body?
                        $400-550 new seems pretty affordable.
                        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                          $400-550 new seems pretty affordable.
                          ehhh....

Too bad SLP ran out of takeoffs years ago

Comment

look on tech, I just picked up a torsen and 3.42 with 16k on it for 170 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by 96A4RS View Post
                              look on tech, I just picked up a torsen and 3.42 with 16k on it for 170 bucks
                              Yeah I know they are around... but beyond part outs, I have learned form experience to be a little weary of people pulling out theres and upgrading.

Also 4th gens are a getting a little aged...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X