leaky rear axel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaky rear axel

Okay so about a year ago I bought a 2000 z28 rear with LSD, it had a bit of a howl to it so i replaced the bearings, and seals. A week later it is leaking BAD. Replaced bearings and seals again, a few days later it is leaking AGAIN. I have been driving it with this minute leaky axle for about 8 months now. But why the hell is it leaking again. The axle didnt appear to have any groves in it and if the axle is bent i caint tell. Has anyone else ran into these issues? Does anyone have any seals they recomend? and the housing is F***** is there a fix for it?

Re: leaky rear axel

i would clean it off better than good. use rubbing alcohol or break cleaner. a new gasket and a nice amount of rtv. let it dry over night, then add the fluid
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Is it leaking out of the cover or at the pinion seal?

Comment

assuming you are talking about its leaking at the axles, use gm seals, i have seen people have problems with non gm seals a ton of times.

they arent that expensive either, i believe i picked up two from the chevy dealer for $12

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
          i would clean it off better than good. use rubbing alcohol or break cleaner. a new gasket and a nice amount of rtv. let it dry over night, then add the fluid
          you cant use rtv on the axle seals, that seems like a disaster to me.

Comment

its leaking out of the passengers side axle. And i will try the GM seals, I have also hear of people using RTV on the ouside, not the inside which should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
              its leaking out of the passengers side axle. And i will try the GM seals, I have also hear of people using RTV on the ouside, not the inside which should be fine.
              did you make sure you put a light grease on the seal before you put the axle in?

its easy for them to burn out from no fluid.

Comment

yea i made sure the seal was plenty lubed up before i installed the axel. The diff is over full but that still shouldnt matter

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
                  yea i made sure the seal was plenty lubed up before i installed the axel. The diff is over full but that still shouldnt matter
                  yeah, thats good. just get the gm seals, i have heard of a lot of people having non gm ones leak on them because they are just a tiny bit bigger

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X