Homemade short throw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade short throw

Has anyone here ever cut their manual shifter? I want to make mine shorter (something few men ever say,) but I like the way the original shifter feels, and don't really want to spend $200+ on a B&M or a Hurst. A couple of threads in here suggest cutting the original down. But how much to take off? And how does it feel afterwards?

Anyone have any input? Thanks.

Re: Homemade short throw

cutting it will make it harder to shift since there will be less leverage, thats about it.

i have never had a problem with powershifting and having the stock length shifter

Comment

Well the reason I want it shorter is it feels like I am driving a truck. The shift knob is even in the way of the radio. Not very sports car like. Even if it were an 1 1/2" shorter, it would feel more like a sports car. I drove a 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, and it felt much more sporty (of course it has 200 more hp than my Camaro.) But I liked the way the shifter was set up.

Comment

I cut mine and rewelded the it to fit now it sits much lower. Never had an issue with power shifting after I cut it.

Comment

Are you looking for the actual shifter or just the stick? They sell shorter sticks for like 10 bucks on ebay that are actually of pretty good quality, I have one and it did wonders by itself on the stock non-hurst shifter.
          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
          1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
          2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

I'm just looking to shorten the stick itself. I actually looked on ebay for one but couldn't find any. A friend of mine said he could cut and weld mine for me. I was just wondering how many people have done this, how they like it, and how much they cut off?
            Last edited by ScottS4050; 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I just looked and couldn't find anything for an M5, just T56, I don't think the T56 works on the M5 one right?
              1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
              1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
              1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
              2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

I found the same thing. No, I don't think the T56 shifter will work.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottS4050 View Post
                  Well the reason I want it shorter is it feels like I am driving a truck. The shift knob is even in the way of the radio. Not very sports car like. Even if it were an 1 1/2" shorter, it would feel more like a sports car. I drove a 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, and it felt much more sporty (of course it has 200 more hp than my Camaro.) But I liked the way the shifter was set up.
                  i understand, i have had a T-handle on my car since i basically first got it, so i dont really have that problem (but i also dont have a stock radio in it, so im not sure how it would interfere)

Comment

You cannot "bolt on" shorten the T5, you can the T56, that is why you can buy a short stick. Most the aftermarket shifters you cna bolt on a shorter stick.

You have to cut and rethread, or cut and weld I guess to make a short shifter. I am tempted to cut and rethread, but it seems like it will be a pain in the ***.

Comment

Just keep your eyes on the for sale section. I got my b&m ripper off here for 50 bucks and its in great shape and have never had any problems. I wouldn't want to cut the stock shifter, but it's your car. Not trying to be an a$$, just my 2 cents.
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                      sigpic

Comment

I was tempted to try and rethread and cut - (run a die down the shaft about 2 inches past the OEM threads, and leave it there.) Then cut 1 1/2" off the top, and run the die back up. The shaft looks to be the same size all the way down, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. After I explained this to my friend (who works at a 4x4 mod shop) he said that is very difficult to do, and it would be easier to cut/weld.
                        I am not too worried about leverage. I have experimented by shifting below the knob for several days now (grabbing the shaft a couple inches below the knob.)
                        {{This all sounds very personal and exciting :naughty: }} I can tell very little difference between the force it takes to shift from the knob, and the force it takes to shift lower on the shaft. It shifts pretty smooth at any RPM.
                        It seems that I have myself convinced to have my friend cut & weld. I guess I am just looking to you guys to either re-affirm, or convince me otherwise -- Do it, or not? I guess I can always put a stock shifter back in if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X