Got 3.73's but left axle is scored.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 3.73's but left axle is scored.

So my diff started howling. Turned out the carrier bearing and pretty much all other bearings were completely shot. Huge gashes in bearings, gears were all blued from wear. Had all bearings replaced and went for 3.73 gears as a replacement (from 3.42s). They seem good, but I'm taking it easy for the next few hundred miles.

Had the axles out and the left is scored up. I want to replace it as it's the only thing making any rear end noise right now. You hear it just a little bit with each turn of the axle. No more howling from the middle though! Going to get the PCM re-flashed tomorrow to correct speedo and shift points.

My car is a '99 Y87 with ASR. Which axle do I need to buy? Do I need an axle with traction control since I have ASR? Do I need it for 4 or 3 channel ABS? I'm also sort of scared ordering more used parts from ebay, last few have been pretty badly worn out. Anyone selling new axles for a reasonable price?
    sigpic

Re: Got 3.73's but left axle is scored.

You'll need one for traction control (4 channel ABS). The hubs on the axles are different from 98 up (I think 98...), so you'd need to make sure the axle is of the correct year or you may have wheel fitment issues. I've also heard that one of the axles (pre or post 98) is slightly longer than the other. I've never measured, although I will say that I have interchanged the two with no ill effects (besides the wheel fitting around the hub, which should only affect stock wheels, not aftermarket).
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

when you say left axle, do you mean the drivers side axle?

I have one laying around, i bought two axles and replaced them, but IIRC only the passenger side was bad

they do NOT have the reluctor wheel, so you would have to take yours off and put it on

Comment

@cam98aro,

Are these from 98+? Mine is the drivers side. It's the only thing making any road noise at this time :(.
        sigpic

Comment

The left and right axles are the same. The only difference is 98+ or 97-
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
            @cam98aro,

Are these from 98+? Mine is the drivers side. It's the only thing making any road noise at this time :(.
            yeah, its from a 98' I will have to find the axle and take pictures to see if you want it. I was going to re-use it and i polished it up a bit, but i decided to just use the two that i bought.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X