Shift kit and ratchet shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift kit and ratchet shifter

In lieu of the recent transmission problems I have incurred which resulted in the destruction of my engine...I've begun doing some research on Shift kits.

I'm stuck between the transgo HD2 and HD3 kits...the HD2 kit is the one you guys are all familiar with and the one reccommended for our cars...the HD3 kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L60E-3/ is a kit that replaces the valve bodies in the transmission to manual ones, making your trans a full manual. With it they reccommend going to a ratchet or gate style shifter. So, just toying with the idea at the moment, but I was looking at this shifter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80798/

couple of questions if I go with the HD-3 kit.

1) Is it permanently full manual, or at any time is there an option to put it back to auto? (besides actually physically swapping the hard parts back in?)

2) How would going to this kit affect my stall converter? Would I still retain full use of the converters functions like when it was automatic...i.e STR, and extended shift (doesnt let the car drop below 5000rpm when the car shifts right now)

3) Is this any harder on the transmission than the traditional HD-2 shift kit, if I had set the computer to shift at the exact same shift points as what I would be manually shifting them?

4) How would something like this be for street driving? I heard the ratchet shifters arent the friendliest for street driving, but what about the gated shifters like the one in my link?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Shift kit and ratchet shifter

Once you go to full manual its peramant since the inner parts of the tranny are diffferent and no electronics. I would go with the Transgo Hd2 I love mine and its only set for DD, didn't use all the shims, just 1 I beleive out of 3.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

the only reason I've been considering the HD-3 kit is because of the shifting problem I was having...I'm just not sure that the HD-2 kit will fix it, and if I got something like the HD-3, I would have control over it

Comment

I remember Pathogen had a manual valve body in their Firebird, might look at some pics of theirs or email her to see how it was setup. But I like the Auto shifting , computer is faster than how your going to shift unless you have spiderman reflexes. LOL I found my probelm with my shifting I think will have to run it up to 120 MPH to find out.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If you really want to spend money, you could install a TCU and paddle shifters. It's like close to $1500 but it would be pretty cool for auto cross in a auto.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think you'll see any benefit in the HD3 vs the HD2. Both will hold any gear to any RPM (so it says, at least). As far as shifters go, don't get a ratchet, it's a huge pain in the *** to keep them set up right. A good gated shifter is the way to go. I don't have any experience with the shifter in your link, but I have THIS ONE in my car. I like the operation of it. It takes some practice to be efficient with it, but I caught on pretty quick. Also note, with an aftermarket shifter, you won't be able to have the factory center console.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

I was looking at that shifter as well actually...and i've seen some nice factory installs...ill see if i can post some pictures up shortly...

Do you have any dd type experience with that shifter? Is it frustrating if you had to use it everyday?

I dont really get the major difference between ratchet and gated...ive been trying to watch some youtube videos of them...but what prevents you from downshifting too far or over upshifting or popping into neutral with a gated shifter?

Comment

heres two pictures of a factory install on our cars (not the same shifter as yours, but you get the point...)

Attached Files

Comment

I don't daily drive my car. In fact I don't drive it on the street much at all, but I have street driven it a few times with the shifter. I can't say that it's frustrating at all, but driving my race car is far different than your car.

As far as the operation of a gated shifter vs a ratchet-
                  A gated shifter has a unique position for each gear. Mine, for example (forward pattern): All the way back is 1st gear. Push the stick forward and it moves to 2nd gear. Hold the trigger down and push forward for 3rd gear. Release the trigger and push forward again for neutral (I'm not sure what the operation would be for 4th gear, as I only have 3). The "gate" is what prevents you from over shifting. When the shifter is all the way back (1st) and you push it forward, as long as you do not hold the trigger, you cannot go past 2nd gear. When shifting to 3rd, as long as you DO hold the trigger, you cannot go past it into neutral.
                  A ratchet shifter, on the other hand, has only one "drive" position. Once you move from "park" to "drive" you will be in 1st gear. Here the shifter is usually in the center, or straight up and down. Push forward on the shifter and it will shift to 2nd then the shifter will return to it's centered position. Push forward again for 3rd, or pull back for 1st. After the shift, the shifter will return to it's centered position. The problem with ratchet shifters is getting it adjusted right so it moves the lever on the side of the transmission far enough (and not too far) to properly engage each gear with each shift. Even once that's done, you will often find yourself needing to re-adjust it for proper engagement.
                  -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Im gunna bump this as I am revisiting this option...looks like they have changed the description of it..."Stick shift, full manual control, converts back to automatic. For transplant or use with no electrical, includes 46-MOD (vacuum controlled line pressure"

Now Im really confused...Whats the difference between this and the HD2 kit???

Im emailing them now, but I would like to know how about swapping to a full manual (auto) tranny...Im thinking of leaning towards using the B&M quicksilver shifter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X