Transmission Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Questions

I just picked up a T5 from the junk yard, but it was missing the wiring harness.
    Will the auto wiring harness plug into the one from the automatic one?
    or do I need to go and ask for some of the wiring harness?

My bird, is a 2000 pontiac firebird with the 4l60E, I picked up an T5 that came from a 99 firebird.

Re: Transmission Questions

i dont think the transmission has a wiring harness per say.. but im pretty sure you have to change some of the connectors

Comment

the best bet would be to get a whole wire harness for a 99 but you will need a tuning program other wise cause u wont pass emissions if you switch to a t5 with out removing codes in the pcm

Comment

I'd try to get a hold of Meatyshells. He did a A4-T5 swap, although I'm not sure if he had a T5 harness or not. I just did/still am doing an A4 3.8-M6 LS1 and I had to wire just a few things in but I had the M6 harness. It is definitely doable, you just have to know how to read wiring diagrams.

Comment

not worried about the tuning part, just was curious more about the wiring for it. It does have the plug for the VSS equiped, but the other wiring for where the reverse lights and such, looks like something plugs in there. I have not had the chance to compare the 2 yet, IE examine my tranny yet. and figured I'd ask, because it looks like a snag to me, and might have to contact the junk yard to see if they have the wiring part.

Comment

A A4 wire harness will work but you won't need about 11 wires I think , when I went from a M5 to A4 I ordered a Speartech add-on harness which I had to install I think it was 11 wires into the PCM a ground wire and a 12V ign. wire, worked perfect. So you would just need to look at the PCM pinouts that are listed here on firebirdv6 in the Tech base and delete them out. Me personally I would stey with the A4, they hold more power and when set up right are quicker than M5's.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

cool, thnx. I'll defiantly look into that.

Comment

now last question on a 2000, is the transmission mount the same from auto to manual or do i need to get a different tranny mount?

Comment

just get the universal poly mount.... for 25$

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    1 day ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X