manual tranny guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual tranny guys

This has probably been covered before but I just have to find out for myself.

Long story short, I drove a LT1 M6 today(first manual F-body I've driven), everything was fine except for the clutch. Why does it engage so far down? I've driven my friend's lancer 5 speed and his clutch feels firm and sensitive and a lot easier to drive. The F-body clutch feels stiff and heavy, felt like I'm driving a semi.

Is this just the way the clutch is or is there some sort of adjustment or maintenance due on the car?

The F-body is a 97 Z28 M6, 102k miles, all stock except for a Flowmaster catback.

What do you guys think?
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: manual tranny guys

Different cars have different clutches. My Z31 has a longer and somewhat stiff clutch compared to my dad's commuter Corolla. That thing has a very short and light clutch. Just the difference in cars, and I'm sure part of it has to do with engine size and torque.

You can buy aftermarket clutches that will probably have different characteristics. A lighter flywheel can also change it up some.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

What about adjustment pace? Can the stock clutch be adjusted?
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

I think you can make the stock clutch adjustable but it isn't from the factory. You could also bleed the system and see if that helps any.

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          Different cars have different clutches. My Z31 has a longer and somewhat stiff clutch compared to my dad's commuter Corolla. That thing has a very short and light clutch. Just the difference in cars, and I'm sure part of it has to do with engine size and torque.

You can buy aftermarket clutches that will probably have different characteristics. A lighter flywheel can also change it up some.
          yeah, its all different.. even between different cars that are the same make/model.

it all has to do with the hydraulics/cables, and how much wear is on everything.

everyone who has driven my car has said they think somethings wrong with the clutch because it feels like butter compared to theirs

Comment

Well had an incident today.

I was on the feeder today in third and had to slow down so I eased into the clutch and the brake but the clutch started vibrating and grinding violently. I couldn't shift up or down, every time I touched the clutch the grinding noise would come back. Eventually the car died, with the clutch in, and I rolled into a parking lot. Before this the car was driving fine, no problems.

Now the car will not start at all with the clutch in. Did I burn the clutch? I did smell some burnt oil but no smoke, no drips, nothing. How can I start to trouble-shoot this?

Thanks everyone.
            Last edited by truekoa; 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM.
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

a grinding noise from the clutch leads me to believe there is a problem with the TO bearing or pilot bearing

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                a grinding noise from the clutch leads me to believe there is a problem with the TO bearing or pilot bearing
                What about not being able to turn the car on at all, if the clutch is fried will the car still turn on?
                1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X