X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help plz. Grinding/rattling in a4

The car: '99 a4 maro

What I did:
    Okay, so recently I fix an exhaust leak from my headers with a copper gasket. This required lots of pushing and prying around the transmission area. I also removed the tranny dipstick tube while I pulled off that passenger side lift bracket, then put it back in with a couple of washers to make up for where the bracket was.

The Symptoms:
    A grinding sound when the engine is under load in reverse (sounds like on the passenger side)
    I feel more vibration than normal when coasting (only sometimes).
    And only in certain spots (certain gears on certain slopes) a rattling sound.

My thoughts:
    I thought the starter might have shifted so that it was grinding on the flywheel, I messed with that a bit and don't think that's it anymore.

Does the tranny diptube have any kind of seal on it inside the transmission that might have gotten knocked off?
    K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Re: Help plz. Grinding/rattling in a4

your exhaust is hitting somewhere on your car.

get under it and feel around the pipe to see where its hitting at.

the most common place is on the driveshaft tunnel brace

Comment

Yeah, it is your exhaust. Check to make sure all bolts are tight. Mine constantly loosen and every 3-4 months I go under and tighten them up. It's mostly my driver side where my x pipe hits my headers. Annoying but its easy fix.
      #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

Maybe your tranny dipstick is rubbing on the heat sheiding where the lines run up to the engine, I think there is 2 heat sheilds around there to help protect the wiring from the exhaust.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I knew all the responses I would get would tell me my exhaust is rubbing, I was going to include the fact that I already checked that. Still I went back out and looked one more time, sure enough, the end of one of the flange bolts was rubbing... needless to say, I felt like an idiot haha, but thanks for your help everyone
          K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

glad you fixed it.. and the exhaust hitting is an all too common problem, even if you would have told us you checked it, we would have told you to recheck it, haha

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X