tranny wont go into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny wont go into gear

ok so i sold my car to a friend. the clutch was slipping so he replaced it himself. well after replacing it the car will no longer go into gear. he bleed the clutch and he took the tranny back out a double checked everything but still no luck and suggestions ? thanks guys and gals
    Last edited by 95firebird3.4; 05-31-2010, 01:07 PM.

Re: tranny wont go into gear

will it go into gear with the engine off and the clutch pressed in?

try putting the back wheels up and put it in gear and start the car, if the back wheels are moving, it means you need to bleed it more.

the slave cylinders are really hard to bleed, it took me about 2 hours to get mine fully bled.

you can also tell him to get a mityvac and bleed it through the resivore

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
      will it go into gear with the engine off and the clutch pressed in?

try putting the back wheels up and put it in gear and start the car, if the back wheels are moving, it means you need to bleed it more.

the slave cylinders are really hard to bleed, it took me about 2 hours to get mine fully bled.

you can also tell him to get a mityvac and bleed it through the resivore
      not sure if it will go in gear or not will find out asap. when u say start the car and see if the wheels move i keep the clutch depressed right ? thanks for the speedy reply

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4 View Post
        not sure if it will go in gear or not will find out asap. when u say start the car and see if the wheels move i keep the clutch depressed right ? thanks for the speedy reply
        yes, with the clutch pedal down, if the wheels are moving your slave is not disengaging the clutch plate all of the way, which means there is still air in the lines.

Comment

ok i just talked to him it goes into gear with the car off and he said when he first started the car after replacing the clutch he was in first with the clutch depressed and the car moving forward. so would u say there is air in the lines? how would he have gotten are tho cuz he didnt mess with any of the lines

Comment

ok i just talked to him it goes into gear with the car off and he said when he first started the car after replacing the clutch he was in first with the clutch depressed and the car moving forward. so would u say there is air in the lines? how would he have gotten are tho cuz he didnt mess with any of the lines

what all did he buy?

if he bought a clutch kit and replaced the slave cylinder (hopefully he did) thats why.

if not, i would check for any brake fluid leaking around the connector or bellhousing.

the problem here is the slave is not putting enough pressure on the pressure plate fingers and the clutch is not fully releasing

when you mentioned that you guys bled the clutch, i figured that the slave cylinder was also replaced. did you happen to let the resivore go dry when bleeding?

Comment

what all did he buy?

if he bought a clutch kit and replaced the slave cylinder (hopefully he did) thats why.

if not, i would check for any brake fluid leaking around the connector or bellhousing.

the problem here is the slave is not putting enough pressure on the pressure plate fingers and the clutch is not fully releasing

when you mentioned that you guys bled the clutch, i figured that the slave cylinder was also replaced. did you happen to let the resivore go dry when bleeding?
              no just a clutch kit. not sry if the res went dry. and no leaks that he knows of. could the slave have taken a crap

Comment

no just a clutch kit. not sry if the res went dry. and no leaks that he knows of. could the slave have taken a crap
                its possible, but usually when the slave breaks it shoots brake fluid everywhere and will not work at all.

how did you guys bleed it? it really sounds like air in the hydraulic lines

Comment

[QUOTE=cam98aro;974764]its possible, but usually when the slave breaks it shoots brake fluid everywhere and will not work at all.

how did you guys bleed it? it really sounds like air in the hydraulic lines[/QUOTE

Loosen clutch master cylinder nuts to ends of threads on "U" bolt. DO NOT remove master cylinder. Clean reservoir cap. Remove reservoir cap and diaphragm. Wrap a piece of mechanics wire around left hood strut bracket, ensuring wire is accessible from bottom of vehicle. Raise and support vehicle. Remove actuator cylinder, leaving hydraulic line connected. Hang cylinder from mechanics wire. Lower vehicle. Grasp actuator cylinder, press actuator cylinder push rod into bore about .78" (20 mm) and hold in this position. Have an assistant install diaphragm and cap. Release actuator cylinder push rod. Hold actuator cylinder vertically with push rod end facing down. Ensure actuator cylinder is lower than master cylinder. Press push rod into actuator cylinder with short .39" (10 mm) strokes. Check for air bubbles in reservoir. If bubbles are present, continue pressing push rod into actuator cylinder until bubbles no longer enter reservoir. Raise and support vehicle. Remove actuator cylinder from mechanics wire. Install actuator cylinder. Lower vehicle. Remove mechanics wire. Tighten clutch master cylinder nuts. Fill reservoir.

this is what i got from ondemand 5 and thats how we did it

Comment

interesting.. there is no provision on the slave itself to be bled? im not too familiar with the hydraulics on the 3.4's

Comment

interesting.. there is no provision on the slave itself to be bled? im not too familiar with the hydraulics on the 3.4's
                      no none

Comment

could he have put the clutch on backwards?

Comment

could he have put the clutch on backwards?
                          yes, its possible

Comment

yes, its possible

That would look kinda of odd when putting it back togehter.LOL
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              That would look kinda of odd when putting it back togehter.LOL
                              its really hard to tell which way the disc goes back on, the only real difference is the hub sticks out more on one side than the other.

my replacement clutch didnt have any "flywheel side" markings on it, so i had to compare the disc to the old one to see which way it went on.

a friend of mine had the clutch replaced in his truck and they put the plate on backwards, it was really hard to get into or out of gear, but was still driveable.. i cant believe i forgot about that for this thread.

most of the time though, it is a hydraulic problem when the car wont go into gear, i was assuming the threadstarters friends car was a 3.8 with the round slave, which are really hard to bleed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X