What kind of grease to use for posi/gear install? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of grease to use for posi/gear install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of grease to use for posi/gear install?

So tomorrow im taking my car in to have the gears and posi installed, the shop thats doing it said I can bring my own oil or it will be an extra 30 bucks if he has to use the shops oil which I think is kind of retarted but oh well anyway what I was wondering was if there is a special kind of oil I should get? Kind of a silly question but its better to ask then to get the wrong stuff.
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by SixShooter'00Camaro; 04-24-2010, 11:08 PM.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Re: What kind of grease to use for posi/gear install?

Any synthetic gear lube, like Mobil 1 70-90 weight is what is specified for the Fbody. Bring 2 quarts. If you have a clutch posi being installed, the posi additive is needed. But you need to check with the posi manufacturer. If I remember correctly, on a NEW posi, the additive is not added until after the 500 mile break in. So check the install instructions for your posi. Should be able to download them from the manufacturers website.

BTW, if the guy doing the install calls the lube "grease" you might want to find another shop.

What ratio gears are going in? What brand? What brand/model posi? Did you get the PCM updated for the gear change? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
    Last edited by Mark42; 04-24-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

If it is a Torsen unit use the additive unless using Royal Purple(since it has additive already in it). For grease Lithuim synthetic. I would just use reg. oil for break in with some additive, then use RP after changing it.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Haha yeah he said grease but after thinking about it I realized he ment oil, he talks fast. The unit is a ratech, I bought it used with under 5 thousand miles if i remember right. So should I just go with rp?

To answer your questions mark lol its a used ratech as I stated above, im going with 3:42s from summit, I currently have the stock 3:23s that came in the car. My buddy is a tuning wizz so after the install is done I will have him update the pcm. I have all the parts in my room for a cam swap :D going to be running the GT2 cam 105# springs ls1 retainers, full port and polish, throwing a rebuild kit in it as well, and a set of pacesetters with Y. Just need to buy a wideband and the swap will begin :banana:
        3M MAFIA
        ________
        sigpic

Comment

I don't think you can use LS1 retainers with Comp 105 Springs , they will get chewed up. I think you will need ZZP modded retainers or manely retainers, since the height needs to be 1.8. For gear oil if your going to be changing it out I would just buy reg. gear oil and a tube of LSD additive. Then after the 500 miles just use RP and you'll be fine since it has additive in it.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I actually got them from zzp, I got all my parts for the swap from them. Alright thanks man. I pick my car up tuesady so I will let you guys know how she feels, no more one wheel wonders lol.
            3M MAFIA
            ________
            sigpic

Comment

Looking at ZZP's tech article again its the stock 3800 retainers you can't use with the Comp 105 springs but the ZZP modded retainers will give you extra clearance for lift, with Viton seals its .050" more clearance, which I would reccomend. Since your using the GT2 cam.

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post

The unit is a ratech, I bought it used with under 5 thousand miles if i remember right. So should I just go with rp?

To answer your questions mark lol its a used ratech as I stated above, im going with 3:42s from summit, I currently have the stock 3:23s that came in the car.....
                I didn't know ratech made posi units. I thought they only made axle parts. I learn something new every day!
                Last edited by Mark42; 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Royal Purple
                  Camaro V6 1999- K&N Intake System
                  - 3.73 gear
                  - Jet DST Programer
                  - Spark plugs (Split Fire) and wires (Taylor 8.5)
                  - Headers (Pace) and Y- Pipe
                  - Hi Flow Cat
                  :stp:

Comment

any progress with the install sixshooter?
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X