I'm a newbie and need to drop the transmission asap - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a newbie and need to drop the transmission asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a newbie and need to drop the transmission asap

I sold (potentially) my transmission in my car as I'm doing a partial part out, and I need to drop the transmission. I've never done anything of this magnitude and could really use all the help.

What kinda tools will and a need and can someone give me a "dummies" version of how to remove this? Thanks!

Re: I'm a newbie and need to drop the transmission asap

manual or auto?

not sure exactly on the auto, but i know on the manual-

remove shifter from top
    remove wire harness on tranny
    remove bolts from tranny to block- size is 17mm or 18mm cant remember, swivels and extensions needed most likely
    push in white clip on steel braided line going to slave cylinder and pull line out
    unbolt driveshaft from rear end- 4 bolts
    unbolt torque arm from tranny
    unbolt the tranny mount ( in center of cross member brace)
    jack up transmission and remove the 4 bolts from cross member
    slide tranny back, drop it down once the input shaft has cleared the clutch
    Last edited by Fondle; 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

if you want to remove a manual, you also need to drop the driveshaft, the torque arm, and also the support braces on the side of the transmission.

you have to take the bellhousing off with the transmission, because the slave cylinder gets in the way

Comment

DOH! It was late last night and didn't realize I didn't mention the car. It's a 95' 3.4 V6, 5-speed.

Thanks for the info guys, I have a rough idea what all those parts are, so I may be posting more questions tomorrow if I have any problems. Thanks

Comment

all you should need is basic sockets 10mm-18mm, a swivel, and some extensions, and obviously a jack and jack stands

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
            all you should need is basic sockets 10mm-18mm, a swivel, and some extensions, and obviously a jack and jack stands
            Is a swivel 100% necessary or just a convenience to making the job easier and can get by with extensions?? As I don't have one...

Comment

um, the top bolts are very hard to get to without one, it might be possible

save your knuckles the bleeding and lots of time, and go buy a swivel at autozone or somewhere they are no more than 6$

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
                um, the top bolts are very hard to get to without one, it might be possible

save your knuckles the bleeding and lots of time, and go buy a swivel at autozone or somewhere they are no more than 6$
                Sounds good, getting another tool is always good :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
                  Sounds good, getting another tool is always good :cool:
                  i would suggest buying a high quality part, and high quality extensions

when i tried to remove my transmission, the bolts were so tight that my cheap extensions were twisting instead of taking the bolt out, i had to use my 1/2" snap on extensions to get it out, they had no problems taking the bolt out.. not saying you need to spend $100 on tools, but i would not get one at harbor freight

Comment

While most on this board don't agree with me, I'll go ahead and say it.

It is quite a bit easier to remove the y-pipe as well. The trans can be removed with the pipe in, but if you remove it you will be able to tilt the motor/trans back, which will make it a lot easier.
                    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Taking the exhaust off is completely unnecessary. I have had the trans out a few times with the exhaust all still in tact. I suggesting using a thick 3ft 3/8s extension with a 3/8s impact style swivel. Get a 2ft breaker bar on the other end of that ***** and it will pop free.

Comment

hi..i didnt wanna make a new thread on this...but i really am having problems with this...i already have been asking around for some help...and the problem im having is getting the 2 top bolts out that goes into the engine....i wasnt going to reuse the trans i was taking out so my friend cut the bellhousing out so we can get some more room...all the other bolts were hard to get out and now these on top are really hard....i pretty much tried everything....soaking it in wd-40...liquid wrench...heating up the bolts for literally 20-30mins...i was using 3/8's tools..my extensions were flexing...i got thicker extensions and still nothing...then went on to 1/2" tools..got even thicker extensions...im using snap-on impact sockets....huge breaker bar...and the thing is if i use those tools i can really get a good grab on the bolt....but if i use my air tools i can get it perfect but it just doesnt budge...i been trying to take these bolts out since sunday...and ideas?

Comment

ummmmmmm anyone???

Comment

Slide a 2ft pipe over the end of the breaker bar for more leverage, they'll come out.
                            1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                            L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X