Rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end

I recently purchased a 2000 Firebird, and it is making a few noises in the read-end and I'd like to get some opinions on what the issue could be.

First, occasionally at low speeds there is a clunking noise, most noticeable on left turns. I recently had the driveshaft go on a 1994 bird and the noise the 2000 is making is extremely similar. However on the 1994 bird the carrier bearing on the split shaft went, and the 2000 has a straight shaft which seemed ok when I went under to look.

Second, the differential makes a high-pitched whine from around 45-55 then 60-65 and dead silent 66 and above. Just changed the differential oil and the noise seemed to increase slightly afterwards.

So I'm not sure what I can do to diagnose this further, any ideas?

Re: Rear end

The whine is probably the axel bearings. As for the clunking, dont waste your money, i have replaced the carrier bearings, axel bearings, brakes, LCA's, PHB, driveshaft, and made sure the backlash and thrust was adjusted correctly. The only other thing to do is replace the shocks, My rear even came out of the same year. Just keep driving it until it really breaks, and then fix it.

Comment

Driving it until it broke would be the plan, but I have a 2700 mile road trip coming up in 2 months, and it like it to not fail then. The previous 94 firebird had a driveshaft failed in the middle of nowhere in Arizona, I'd prefer not to have a repeat haha

Comment

Originally posted by IceHammer View Post
        Driving it until it broke would be the plan, but I have a 2700 mile road trip coming up in 2 months, and it like it to not fail then. The previous 94 firebird had a driveshaft failed in the middle of nowhere in Arizona, I'd prefer not to have a repeat haha
        the whining is probably the rear end, did you check the fluid?

low fluid can cause a whining sound, and wear parts out like the spider gears, which create slack in the rear diff and can cause a clunk when you turn a certain way... or it could just be a suspension part, like an endlink, or bushing.

you need to get under the car and wiggle everything and see if there is any play

Comment

He changed the fluid already.. Being as he's had experience with drivelines im sure he filled it properly too.

And you will have play in the rear end, now if you can swing things around and knock them together is entirely different.

But you are right, check to see and loose end links and what not, but that does not sound like the issue.

Comment

How would I verify that there is an axle bearing problem versus a differential whine?

I'm more worried about the noise than the clunking actually. the car has only 52k on it, so whatever it is probably has at least 5-10k miles left on it minimum imagine.

Comment

How would I verify that there is an axle bearing problem versus a differential whine?

I'm more worried about the noise than the clunking actually. the car has only 52k on it, so whatever it is probably has at least 5-10k miles left on it minimum imagine.
              axle bearings usually make a grinding noise, and not a whining noise.

how long have you been hearing the noise? axle bearings usually go bad quick, and when turning the noise will get worse.

does the noise sound like it is coming from the driver/pass side, or from the center of the car?

take the car on a windy road and turn the music down and listen to see if the sound changes when going around bends.

from your description, i dont think it would be the axle bearings

Comment

dude i know what thats like. back in 06 i moved from boston to maui. so i drove cross country with no problem. played in maui for a while then decided to ship the maro back. picked her up in oakland and made it all the way down route 5. started on the journey east and the tranny failed in the middle of the desert. had a "newish" tranny swapped out in a little town called tehachapi cali. SUCKED so i totally know how you feel.

didnt even get a reach around for the f*cking i got!

Comment

When you changed the rear fluid, how much metal was accumulated on the magnet inside the cover? If its a lot, then there is definitely something going on with the differential or gears or bearings in the pumpkin.

Did you inspect the gears for wear or heat or inproper wear marks on the teeth?

Also grab the pinion yoke and push/pull hard to see if there is any play in the pinion bearings.

Good luck!

Comment

I had the same problem with rear end making noise around 45- 55. I changed my stock gears 3.08 to 3.73. Now what I forgot to do is change my rear pinon or bearings. Why? With a stronger rear end you must adjust for new perssure, in other words more power, rear end turns more because of different gear.
                    To make sure you must look at what color is rear end fluid and check for metal shaving in fluid. Will coast you over 1,000 $.
                    Camaro V6 1999- K&N Intake System
                    - 3.73 gear
                    - Jet DST Programer
                    - Spark plugs (Split Fire) and wires (Taylor 8.5)
                    - Headers (Pace) and Y- Pipe
                    - Hi Flow Cat
                    :stp:

Comment

I had same problem when I changed rear end to 3.73 did not adjust correctly and now I have to change axel bearings.
                      Camaro V6 1999- K&N Intake System
                      - 3.73 gear
                      - Jet DST Programer
                      - Spark plugs (Split Fire) and wires (Taylor 8.5)
                      - Headers (Pace) and Y- Pipe
                      - Hi Flow Cat
                      :stp:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X