3.23 or 3.42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.23 or 3.42

00 bird with 3.23 5 speed in her. 98 parts car with 3.42 auto in her. worth any swapping or just leave alone?

just called tracy chevrolet in plymouth mass and gave the guy the last 8 of both vins. he said my parts 98 bird has posi rear where as my 00 bird has open diff. guess i will be swapping! both sadly have 2 piece driveshafts... cant win em all.
    Last edited by kdm212; 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM. Reason: added to post!

Re: 3.23 or 3.42

Def worth the swap, I have 3.23s currently and am going to be putting in 3.42s with posi.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
      Def worth the swap, I have 3.23s currently and am going to be putting in 3.42s with posi.
      excuse me for sounding dumb but whats really the difference. i understand that both wheels spin. but is it going to mess the speedo up? also the 3.42 is better for top end right? noticeable changes?

Comment

3.42s would give you better acceleration through first couple gears, once you get into 4th and 5th, you won't notice any gain..possibly a loss because by going with the 3.42s over 3.23s, your sacrificing topspeed for acceleration. i think i read on this site actually that going from 3.23s to 3.42s will increase your 1/4 mile time by like .6-.7 of a second...that could have been from 3.08s to 3.42s tho.

Comment

I swaped from 3.42 open to 3.42 posi, it was deffinatley worth the time and effort. Go for it.

Comment

sweet! im gonna do it. i also just got off the phone with a guy and bargained him down on a aluminum driveshaft. he said its 2.5 (out of a 1991 TA) inch as opposed to the 3 inch in 4th gens. $115 i have to go get it, roughly an hour and a half away. good deal? he said to get straps too? im lost on that though. supposedly $6 parts.

am i to assume he was referencing this?
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...#ht_1110wt_882
            Last edited by kdm212; 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

sooo im still waiting to do this swap. i have help finally to do it. BUT i was just offered $350 for the rear end. take the cash or do the swap?

Comment

Originally posted by kdm212 View Post
                sweet! im gonna do it. i also just got off the phone with a guy and bargained him down on a aluminum driveshaft. he said its 2.5 (out of a 1991 TA) inch as opposed to the 3 inch in 4th gens. $115 i have to go get it, roughly an hour and a half away. good deal? he said to get straps too? im lost on that though. supposedly $6 parts.

am i to assume he was referencing this?
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...#ht_1110wt_882
                you can get a better deal than that man. i bought my 4th gen aluminum ds off a seller on ebay for 110 shipped i believe, got to me in 3 days.

i vote throw in the driveshaft, and hunt down a posi and gears off ebay or someone selling. as soon as i get the maro back on the road she's getting 3.73's and posi
                pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

well i actually already did the ds swap. that was a $100. so now im debating on the rear end swap. i already have a donor 3.42 rear end with posi. BUT i was just offered $350 for it. so here im at the crossroads, sell it or keep it? i mean really how much of a difference in performance will i notice???

Comment

posi and gears make a world of difference in handling, launch, stability, and traction. those are pretty important in my book. if you want more performance, go with a faster gear while you're in there.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

Finally had my posi and 3:42s installed last week. Its worth it, I havent really gone thew the gears hard yet as the posi is not broke in yet but I can feel a huge difference from when I had the stock 3:23s in there. Acacceleration is better and when im in 5th and drop ir for 4th it picks up better. My spedo is off 10mph but thats an easy fix, going to my buddys this weekend and hes going to update the pcm so the spedo will read correctly.
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                      sigpic

Comment

so just to be sure. you would rather keep the rear end and not take the $350?

Comment

keep it. sell something you dont need instead.

sigpic

Comment

such as... my dd firebird runs awesome and really (knock on firebird! no jinx!) doesnt need much.

im regretting giving my car praise. something will break now!

lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X