Tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny question

Long story short my bro bought a 3.8 from a 02 camaro to put in his 98 3.8 camaro after the motor spun a bearing. The Transmission worked when we pulled the motor around two months ago but now that everything is back together the car wont move at all nor will the idle drop. We have checked the fluid, the shifter linkage, and the wire plug-ins. The only thing i can figure is that since we used the torque converter that came with the motor rather than ours which we know worked there must be somethan wrong with the torque converter or somehow its not pumping in fluid cuz the fluid levels havent changed after running it several times for more than five minutes. What do you all think. By the way sorry for it still being a long story. Thanks in advance

Re: Tranny question

Stupid question, but did you bolt the torque convertor to the flexplate? Also did you make sure that the convertor spun over after you bolted the engine to the tranny BEFORE you bolted the convertor to the flexplate. You might not have the convertor all the way in and busted the pump. Seen it happen before. Or the convertor is shorter than the original one and is not engaging the pump, seen that happen before also.

Comment

will an auto tranny from 3.8 98 bird work with a 97 auto lt1?

Comment

Originally posted by kdm212 View Post
        if the bellhousing are interchangeable, then yes it will, if the bellhousing and trans is one unit then it wont work

Comment

Originally posted by kdm212 View Post

No , V6 and V8 auto trannys won't interchange since the V8 is larger and has different input shafts, plus the Tq conveters are different the V8 is bigger and has a 30 spline count. But all 96-02 3.8 Autos can interchange also M5's can interchange as well, I have swaped a 02' A4 in my 96' M5 and works great. Before that I swaped a 00' M5 in my 96' Camaro.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 03-17-2010, 11:34 PM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X