Rear clunking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear clunking

ok so i just got my car back from getting the rear end overhauled. And its still making this clunking noise, the guy who did it said there is nothing wrong with the rear, its perfect. But it still clunks when i slow down. Im going to reaplace the driveshaft 2moro. If that doesnt get rid of my issue do you guys have any ideas?

Re: Rear clunking

Mine clunks a little, but it's my exhaust hitting the driveshaft.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Well i dont think its my exhaust. It does it when in going around a left handed bend or slowing down. Its a little fast paced.

Comment

I would check your LCA's to see if there tight enough and also your trans mount.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

sounds like one of your end links busted

Comment

yea it has to be either the trans mount or the suspension. Considering the rear is rebuilt and i just put the aluminum ds in today. The shocks have NEVER been replaced, nor the trans mount. LCA's are good i already tryed that. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
              ok so i just got my car back from getting the rear end overhauled. And its still making this clunking noise, the guy who did it said there is nothing wrong with the rear, its perfect. But it still clunks when i slow down. Im going to reaplace the driveshaft 2moro. If that doesnt get rid of my issue do you guys have any ideas?
              Just because he says it's "perfect" doesn't make it so.

Same thing the guy who did the rebuild for me years ago said. Had clunking when slowing down. My present mechanic (also mech engineer) - the gear backlash is not set correctly.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

it may also be worth checking the track bar. mine was notorious for working it's way loose.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                  Just because he says it's "perfect" doesn't make it so.

Same thing the guy who did the rebuild for me years ago said. Had clunking when slowing down. My present mechanic (also mech engineer) - the gear backlash is not set correctly.
                  It does it now when i hit bumps too. He already checked the thrust and backlash, reasured me it was not the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
                    It does it now when i hit bumps too. He already checked the thrust and backlash, reasured me it was not the issue.
                    is the trans mount good?

if i were you i would put the car on jack stands and try and wiggle everything around to see if it moves at all if something has play you know that bushing is bad

Comment

sum times when you catch curbs or things with our rear ends our axle shafts bend and will have a small wobble and the brakes will clunk around on them mine did it till i put a new axle shaft in it, i thought it was my u-joints but it wasnt i put the car on a lift and when you spun the tire u could accually see it wobble a little

Comment

when i was doing the driveshaft it looked like the trans mount was squating pretty hard. I wasnt really paying to much attention to it.

Comment

Mine does it also. but it has 262,000 miles on it. Well the car does. I rebuilt the rear 2 years ago, new LCA's, shocks, etc. Did it before and still does it. I just live with it until it breaks and cuases a major pile up on a major freeway during rush hour, then I will know what's wrong with it, haha.

Comment

Hahaha yea I hear that. Kind of where I'm at right now, I really don't give a sh** any more haha.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X