Aluminum Drive Shaft is In!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Drive Shaft is In!

Weather was nice today, so I put in the aluminum drive shaft. From jacking up the car to going for a test drive took about 50 minutes. I marked the old steel shaft incase I decided to put it back in. But after the test drive that isn't going to happen :).

It went in nice and easy. Glad I read the SI documents, they said to use chassis grease on the splines and bearing surface when sliding the shaft in. I was going to ATF fluid to lube it, until I read that. So I gave it a very light coating and it slipped right in no problem.

Took it for a test drive. First thing I noticed is that the rear gear noise is much less than with the steel shaft. I remember the guy who installed the gears saying how drive shafts and the torque arm tend to resonate gear noise up to the front of the car where you hear it better. I guess the aluminum shaft doesn't transmit the sound as well as steel.

After about 10 minutes of country road driving, I got on the interstate and brought it up to 70. Quiet and smooth. Up at 80 there is vibration in the steering wheel and dash, but I'm sure that is tires. Took it up to 90 where it smoothed out.

Cruised back home and noticed that the car is very smooth and quieter at under 60 mph.

I can't say if the car any faster or not, this sort of change just doesn't register on the butt gauge :D.

So... I really like the reduced noise, and smoother ride. That alone is worth the change. And if a couple of HP is picked up, thats a bonus.

Here you can see the difference between the shafts. The steel is narrower, 2.5" vs 3.0" for the aluminum. And the yokes are identical. The aluminum shaft is maybe a 1/4" longer overall, but that is just because the aluminum lobes are so much thicker than the steel lobe that it makes the shaft longer, but the center to center dimensions of the U joints are the same.

Re: Aluminum Drive Shaft is In!

It's a good upgrade, I only cleaned mine up with brake cleaner, but you went the extra mile. And it shows.

Comment

Looks great polishing up the DS, saw your post on the rear gridle too. When I got my alm DS, I also had a torsen lsd with 3.42's installed, from a 2 pc. DS and open 3.23's , so my gain was very noticeable at the time. Paid Zero for the ALM. DS and $150 for the Torsen LSD and 3.42's installed. Was nice having friends at the dealership and my Dad running the shop.LOL Looks great though, for the rear I would recommend ARP main cap bolts and a TA Gridle(holds extra 1/2 qt. for lower temps) if you wanted to go further, but the ARP main caps will help though. What gear oil did you use, my dads GM mechanics swear by Royal Purple so this last time when i went to GM Motive 3.73's I used RP and its been great with no noise that I can hear with the exhaust before the axle.LOL Good job.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 02-21-2010, 10:56 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

you may have said it elsewhere, but what did you do to clean it up to that condition?
        Just a v6 with a few mods, no big plans :bs:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shiznizzal24 View Post
          you may have said it elsewhere, but what did you do to clean it up to that condition?
          Sand with 400 grit wet/dry paper and use wd40 instead of water (water beads up and rolls off too easy). When even and dull, go over with fine steel wool, then a power buffer with polishing compound. Took less than an hour to do that. I avoided sanding/polishing the "three rivers" tag or paint spots, just to keep it original.

Comment

looks amazing man, if i have time i might touch up my driveshaft before it goes in.
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
              looks amazing man, if i have time i might touch up my driveshaft before it goes in.
              If its not in yet, post the part number and weight (bathroom scale is close enough)

Comment

Sweet sweet mod man. It's amazing what a good shaft can do - especially for our cars.
                Leonard
                www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                sigpic

Comment

Its been in for thee days now. I think I notice it the most when just accelerating a little bit. Like from 60 to 65. Seems like a lighter touch of the pedal makes the car respond. Don't really notice it when heavy into the gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                    Its been in for thee days now. I think I notice it the most when just accelerating a little bit. Like from 60 to 65. Seems like a lighter touch of the pedal makes the car respond. Don't really notice it when heavy into the gas.
                    Thats all you're really gonna feel. You not really making more horsepower, but just making it get to the wheels more efficiently. Less rotating mass will make your car accelerate quicker and shed some weight. Which is always good for the track :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                      If its not in yet, post the part number and weight (bathroom scale is close enough)
                      don't have a scale at home (just weigh in at the gym), but i'll head down into the garage later and see what i can come up with. might take a day later this week and get it all polished up like you did :tup:
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X