2 peice steel driveshaft to a 1 peice aluminum - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 peice steel driveshaft to a 1 peice aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 peice steel driveshaft to a 1 peice aluminum

is it worth the swap in driveshafts from th stock 22lb one to the 10lb aluminum driveshaft?

Re: 2 peice steel driveshaft to a 1 peice aluminum

I would think so. I picked up an aluminum shaft a few weeks ago, polished it and put in new U joints. Its going to replace my one piece steel shaft because after changing gears from 3.08 to 3.73, a slight vibration the car used to have at 80 mph is now at 70 mph. The aluminum shaft should get rid of the vibration, and its just less weight spinning at highway speeds.

I have read where the car will gain up to 3 hp due to the aluminum shaft, but don't expect to actually feel it.

Any change to reduce rotating mass is a good change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
      Any change to reduce rotating mass is a good change.
      Thats what its all about. That stock one peice weighs a ton compared to the aluminum. I weighed the alm ds in at 12 lbs. Im sure youll notice some pick up with the aluminum ds. Not only are you shaving down that rotating mass but doin some weight reduction. Many people on here say they notice no difference. Ill be installing mine soon, i will let you know what i think.

Comment

gettin rid of that center bearing is worth it alone

87 Firebird RIP
        96 Camaro RS RIP
        94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
        02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X