Clutch, TO Bearing, Cylinder question - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch, TO Bearing, Cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch, TO Bearing, Cylinder question

Hey all. Im installing a centerforce clutch here in the next couple months. I just want to make sure I have all the essentials covered.

Will buy:
    Clutch
    Have my flywheel resurfaced
    Flywheel bolts
    trans fluid
    Rear Main Seal

Questions:
    Do I need to install a new Throw out bearing? Slave cylinder? These were 100% replaced about 25-30k miles ago.
    Am I missing anything else??? Any help would be great. I dont want to hit a road block because of planning mistakes. Thanks guys
    SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Re: Clutch, TO Bearing, Cylinder question

Definitely change out the bearing/bushing. I'd probably go with a new slave cylinder, so that you get a fresh start on it.
    Even with only 30k on them, it's still a good idea to do it so that you won't have to remove the transmission again.
    Good luck getting the flywheel bolts, I just reused mine with thread locker.

Have fun with the replacement, I had fun doing mine too.

Comment

get a new pressure plate too, didnt see you list that

Comment

i would say you can reuse the old slave/TO bearing, but replacing it is up to you, if you do replace it, get a high quality one, you dont want to have to drop the trans again to replace a cheap one that lasted 6 months.

i would also replace the pilot bushing

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          i would say you can reuse the old slave/TO bearing, but replacing it is up to you, if you do replace it, get a high quality one, you dont want to have to drop the trans again to replace a cheap one that lasted 6 months.

i would also replace the pilot bushing

Absolutely NOT!

Replace the slave and TO bearing. Make sure you get the GM TO that is rounded - not squared (old GM style and Centerforce) at point of contact with the clutch fingers. When I had my Centerforce installed, I had a Centerforce TO bearing put in, but would not if I could do it over.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Thanks guys

I will look into replacing the slave, TO bearing and pilot bushing.

Not to familiar on these. Can I go to the dealership to get all 3 of them or is there a better place to get them? The mod encyclop. gives the TO bearing part number as N1777, is that the rounded one I should get?

What exactly is the pilot bushing? Thanks
            SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
              Absolutely NOT!

Replace the slave and TO bearing. Make sure you get the GM TO that is rounded - not squared (old GM style and Centerforce) at point of contact with the clutch fingers. When I had my Centerforce installed, I had a Centerforce TO bearing put in, but would not if I could do it over.
              there is no problem re-using a slave cylinder/TO bearing that only has 25,000 miles on it IMO, they are parts that should last longer than the clutch does, but they are usually changed with the clutch to avoid dropping the transmission for petty things.

Originally posted by FuryCharger View Post
              Thanks guys

I will look into replacing the slave, TO bearing and pilot bushing.

Not to familiar on these. Can I go to the dealership to get all 3 of them or is there a better place to get them? The mod encyclop. gives the TO bearing part number as N1777, is that the rounded one I should get?

What exactly is the pilot bushing? Thanks
              the pilot bushing is pressed into the back of the crank, its what the transmissions input shaft goes into to keep the centered

you can use a tool to remove it, or get a round metal rod a tiny bit smaller than the old pilot bushing and fill it with grease and smack it with a hammer a few times to make the old one come out

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                there is no problem re-using a slave cylinder/TO bearing that only has 25,000 miles on it IMO, they are parts that should last longer than the clutch does, but they are usually changed with the clutch to avoid dropping the transmission for petty things.

Don't agree. "Rule of thumb" is to replace the slave/TO if you have to go inside the bell housing. Also had to replace the master.

Play it safe on this one and replace the S/TO. I didn't the first time I replaced a clutch - never would do it that way again.

Raven

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Where can I get the pilot bushing, T/O bearing and slave cylinder? Dealership?? GM parts direct??

Comment

gm parts direct should be cheaper than the stealership, i got all of mine an vato zone and havent had any problems, but some people dont like getting their parts from there

also, on the Pilot Bushing, mine was in horrible shape and cracked and pretty much turned into dirt when i had to replace my clutch, so replace it for sure

Comment

I used Rock Auto for the slave and bushing.

Comment

Originally posted by FuryCharger View Post
                        Thanks for the input.

Where can I get the pilot bushing, T/O bearing and slave cylinder? Dealership?? GM parts direct??

I use GMPartsDirect. Haven't found anybody who can provide OEM GM parts cheaper.

Raven

Comment

Regarding new flywheel bolts: WHERE DO YOU GET THEM? I too am doing a full clutch replacement and I have everything but dem dar bolts.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

From reading other posts, you can get themn at the dealership. Costs about $30. Might need to call around for availability. I have also heard that if worse comes to worse you can use thread lock.

So final list to buy:

Clutch w/ pressure plate from summitracing
                            Pilot Bushing
                            Flywheel resurfaced
                            T/O bearing
                            Slave cylinder
                            Trans fluid/Coolant
                            Bolts for flywheel.

Just double checking. Anything else essential?

Comment

I know this post is a bit old but DONT reuse flywheel bolts, i listened to auto parts store reused mine and torqued to rec specs and before i even got there i broke one off in crankshaft its not fun easier and safer to replace.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X