Replacing wheel studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing wheel studs

Anyone here done this before? I have to get 3 replaced on my car and was just wondering how hard it is. Two are on he same wheel so I got three lugnuts holding one tire on. A shop in town is trying to charge me $30 a stud.

Re: Replacing wheel studs

iv never done it on a camaro before, but on other cars i have just took a hammer and smashed it out and replaced the new one by putting washers on the stud and using the lug nut to tighten it up, took about 5 minutes

Comment

If your a broke drunk or stoner, and want $90 for an oz. of weed. Do the work yourself, its not hard, just takes a little bit of figuring out, some work, some blood. If not then pay up.

Comment

which wheel are you refferring to, front or rear?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Like stated above, just take a hammer and pound out the old stud. Don't be afraid to whack it, you won't hurt anything. Then use the washers to pull the new stud into place.

I have not done this on an F-body, but have done it several times on other cars. If you cannot get the stud to fit behind the hub, use a cutoff wheel or hacksaw and cut off a little bit of the head. It will hold perfectly fine, and then you don't have to take the hub off. This is an easy fix.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I don't really get what your saying, I understand wacking them through the hub but I don't see how to get the new stud in place without removing the hub, the brake rotor and the caliper.

Comment

drums or discs?...it looks like they are accessible from on the back of the car easily...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I got disc all the way around and I got two on the front I gotta replace and one on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefcake View Post
                  I don't really get what your saying, I understand wacking them through the hub but I don't see how to get the new stud in place without removing the hub, the brake rotor and the caliper.
                  Typically you would want to remove the front rotor before you change the studs. After that it is pretty easy. An area of the steering knuckle allows you to replace the studs one at a time. You just turn the hub until the stud that you are trying to replace lines up with the area of the knuckle. You will see it once you take of the rotor. It's a tight squeeze, but it will go through.
                  Last edited by nascar24jd; 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help I get what your saying now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X