~New Flywheel to Crank Bolts?~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~New Flywheel to Crank Bolts?~

Is it completely necessary to get new ones when taking off the flywheel? I have no idea where to buy them. Ive gone to every part supplier and tranny shop in the county and NO ONE can even get them, let alone have them in stock.

AZ had some but the package did not say for what application. Anyone know the bolt spec? Thread, length, head etc...?

No one even does flywheel resurfacing, esh!
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: ~New Flywheel to Crank Bolts?~

I used some threadlocker on the old ones.

Comment

I would use new ones, I think Intense or ZZP. Or might be FTPP. ZZPerformance has Flexplate bolts for 9.99 ,don't know if you can use those or not, I know I went from a M5 to A4 don't remember if the bolts are the same lenght as flywheel bolts.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=365&catid=102
      Last edited by ssms5411; 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
        I used some threadlocker on the old ones.
        I might have to do this. I take it that yours is holding up well? How long did you have them on before and after?

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        I would use new ones, I think Intense or ZZP. Or might be FTPP. ZZPerformance has Flexplate bolts for 9.99 ,don't know if you can use those or not, I know I went from a M5 to A4 don't remember if the bolts are the same lenght as flywheel bolts.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=365&catid=102
        LOL, I asked the local transmission shop the same thing and they said no way in hell. They are too short and something along the lines of the flywheel rotational weight. At least thats what they said...

I compared the flywheel bolts to the flexplate bolts AZ had and sure enough they were quite a bit shorter. But of course that may be different than our cars.
        sigpic

Comment

do NOT re-use the bolts, i got mine at the gm dealer

let me see if i can find some old ones

edit* part number is 24505092, i dont know what the thread size is, but the length is around 22mm
          Last edited by cam98aro; 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            do NOT re-use the bolts, i got mine at the gm dealer

let me see if i can find some old ones

edit* part number is 24505092, i dont know what the thread size is, but the length is around 22mm
            Out of curiosity, why can we not use old bolts?

My GM dealer says they cannot get them... No one here can
            sigpic

Comment

it is advised to use new bolts on anything that can get tq\d down. The bolts streach when they are tightened, after years of abuse, heat. If you go to reuse them, guess what, they snap, or worst strip the treads in the hole. Alot of times it just convinant to re-use bolts. But anything in the driveline, i Would be putting brand new. ie anything, engine, trans, rearend. God knows you do not want trouble with a loose bolt later. Some people wonder why they have drive line shakes. um i wonder. Some thing with re-using main cap bolts for your crank. not good.

The most easy thing to do, is get the old bolt, go down to your hardware store, and pick-up some black hardened bolts. 9 out of 10 times it does the trick.

If you want to re-use your old bolts, you can, they may be in fact nothing worng with them. But if they are small you will not be able to measure the streached area easily. If it's big and long enough, just check it out with a flat square.

hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                Out of curiosity, why can we not use old bolts?

My GM dealer says they cannot get them... No one here can
                cant reuse them because they are a stretch type bolt, i tried to re use mine, and i snapped twp in the crank, thankfully there was just enough thread sticking out that i could use my bolt outs to get them.

i can stop at my local GM dealer and order you some if you want, but i paid a pretty penny for them, they were the only place that had it, i talked to a few people trying to find the same size bolts, but everyone told me to use the gm ones if i wasnt 100% sure it was the correct size.

the problem is the bolts come in bags of 5, so i had to order 2 of them, but only used a few (which i cant seem to find)

when the snow clears (if it ever does) i can go to home depot and see if i can find the correct size for you

edit* i just saw the zzp link and my bolts look a bit different than that

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post

when the snow clears (if it ever does) i can go to home depot and see if i can find the correct size for you
                  I would love you forever for this! PlEaSe!
                  sigpic

Comment

I've only gone 1-2k miles since I changed out the clutch, and with not very hard driving either. It still seems to hold fine though.

Comment

i have reused mine SOOOOOOO many times, and have had no problem. Just use thread locker

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

Type in part number 24505092

edit: keep in mind that the pricing on that site is per unit... so when it says $2.60 and 5 per package the actual price per unit will be $13.00 so if you need more than 5 you'll have to buy 5 more at $13.00 because you can't buy them individually only in packages of 5
                        Last edited by T-Mill; 02-07-2010, 12:32 AM.
                        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X