I got 3.73s on accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got 3.73s on accident?

So i bought a rear end from some dude off craigslist. he told me he pulled it off a 97 z28 and it had posi and 3.42s. I take it to the shop to have it put on, the guy said he counted the teeth and splines and it added up to 3.73s... But im not sure Im feeling it, cause from what I heard my rpms would be a lot higher as well as my speedo would be more off. right now at 60(by the speedometer, which I havent fixed yet) I go about 2000rpm and I put it on the dyno at my job to see about the speedo, at 40 its off by 5, 60 its off by 10, and so on. Anybody got any input?

Re: I got 3.73s on accident?

is your car auto or manual?

so is it at 2000 when your actually going 60, or 70?

Comment

i have 3.42s and i run about 2k rpms at 60 if that helps

Comment

you could send me the ring gear and pinion :D i don't care which it is, 3.42 or 3.73, it's better than my current 3.08 - at 60mph i turn exactly 2k rpms (auto trans)
        Last edited by checkbit; 01-22-2010, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah its an auto, and i'd actually be going 50 cause the speedo is off

Comment

We need what size tires you are running to calcualate what gears you have?
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

put the back end on jack stands, and make a chalk mark on the drive shaft, spin the back tires 10 times, and count how many times the driveshaft turns, then divide it by 10 its a quick and easy way to find what your ratio is

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                put the back end on jack stands, and make a chalk mark on the drive shaft, spin the back tires 10 times, and count how many times the driveshaft turns, then divide it by 10 its a quick and easy way to find what your ratio is
                Alright man I'm gonna do that later today.
                Also, I have 255/40/17s in the front and 275/40/18s in the rear. Its an auto too. Also when you guys are cruising at about 60, are y'all at 2k rpms, in third gear, or 4th. Cuz untill I lay off the gas and let it down shift its at 3k, put 4th its at 2k.

Comment

thats wierd im a 1800 rpms in my car at 60 and have 3.42s with a auto i might have to take a second look at my rear end

Comment

Originally posted by bwkmaro View Post
                    thats wierd im a 1800 rpms in my car at 60 and have 3.42s with a auto i might have to take a second look at my rear end
                    I have 3.42s/A4 and at 60 im right around 2k rpms.

Comment

sounds like you might have 3.08's
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

thats sexy, make a nice up grade to 3.73s then. oh i just thought of something i dont think stock z28 came with 3.73s unless it was special order cause all the v8s were rather low gearing like 3.08 and less becuase of the 6speed t56 i might be wrong but it does make sense... i had 2 friends trade out there stock gears in the v8s and they were both like a 2.48(or something close to that)

Comment

you can pull the rear off an ls1 fbody and usually find 3.42's with lsd
                          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                            you can pull the rear off an ls1 fbody and usually find 3.42's with lsd
                            X2 here they go for $300-$400 for 3.42 posi with decent miles.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

thats sexy, make a nice up grade to 3.73s then. oh i just thought of something i dont think stock z28 came with 3.73s unless it was special order cause all the v8s were rather low gearing like 3.08 and less becuase of the 6speed t56 i might be wrong but it does make sense... i had 2 friends trade out there stock gears in the v8s and they were both like a 2.48(or something close to that)

95 and later V8 6 speed cars only came with 3.42's. Auto V8's could get 2.73's or 3.23's.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X